Yeast Energizer

Drewfus1

Premium Member
Reaction score
How many of you folks add a yeast energizer or nutrient to your boil? I hadn't used any until recently. I picked some energizer up for a batch of saison to avoid stalling but started adding a 1/2 tsp to all my batches just because I happened to have it around. I haven't noticed any perceivable difference in taste but I have noticed a difference in fermentation. With the energizer, fermentation takes off very quickly, finishes earlier and I'm getting slightly lower FG readings. Anyone else have the same experience?

I use 1/2 tsp Wyeast nutrient every brew (5.25 gal.). Likely not a necessity, but cheap insurance.

Be nice to your yeasts and they will serve you well.

Wyeast nutrient.
Noticed same but as I learned more about starters and temp control also got better results with attenuation. Very consistent and predictable now. When I started brewing i wasn't getting enough o2 in wort but nutrient definitely helped then. As Bob says, cheap good insurance. Not the only trick in the bag, but a good one to help keep the yeasties happy.

I'm going to start using some bakers yeast in starter boil an observe. I've not used any nutrient though.

I use Wyeast nutrient, it's a good source of zinc. Zinc is the nutrient malt does not provide to the yeast. I also add bread yeast for extra lipids and other nutrients.

Thanks everyone! Originally I was just considering adding the nutrient I have around for wine making, but I think its just Di-Ammonium Phosphate. The owner of my LHBS recommended yeast energizer for beer so that's what I got. It was entirely preventative initially (Wyeast 3724 is know for stalling and I'd only used Belle Saison before that) but I've been happy with the outcome so I'll continue to use it in most of my batches. In the past my saisons would get down to 1.004 or 1.003. I just bottled another batch this past weekend that included the energizer and it got to 1.000. It seems to have shaved some fermentation time off on other batches too. An oxygenation setup is next on the list but I've already spent enough on my system this year... Maybe in 2020! :D

Back