diy sight glass

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm soliciting ideas for a DIY sight glass for my HLT.

I have a 8 gallon SST Polarware kettle that I am repurposing on my rig that I noted I need to come up with a good way to check water level when I am filling it. Safety first is what's in mind over it being on target. I just want something simple so I can see when to turn off the pump other than an overflow or climbing the ladder every couple of seconds to see where we are at.

I've got half the materials so I'm thinking of a putting a barb with some clear tubing on an inverted "Tee" fitting inline with my ball valve. What I need to come up with is some means of keeping the tubing upright.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

You could add a bulkhead to the top of your HLT, with a 1/2 ball valve and if you have quick disconnects, you could cut a length of silicone tubing with a female fitting in each end. Then connect to the upper and lower quick disconnects (assuming you have a 1/2 valved bulkhead on the bottom of the HLT). The length should be long enough not to kink the hose, but not too long to be in the way. The level of the water in the HLT will be the same level as that in the hose and you can mark the hose in whatever measurements you want. Probably need to mark top and bottom on the hose as well.

Mine goes in between the outlet of the kettle and pump on a T but would advise against this as I get suck back through the sight glass if level is low when draining.

Mine goes in between the outlet of the kettle and pump on a T but would advise against this as I get suck back through the sight glass if level is low when draining.

That's fine because it's the fill up that I want to watch ...the design I had in mind was most like this one;

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ltsknt.htm

I just need some means to keep the tube rigid.....I like that thermometer in the Tee thing...hmmmmmm ...might be worth rethinking

That's fine because it's the fill up that I want to watch ...the design I had in mind was most like this one;

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ltsknt.htm

I just need some means to keep the tube rigid.....I like that thermometer in the Tee thing...hmmmmmm ...might be worth rethinking
Mines a polycarbonate sight glass with a standard push in type barb thing with some o rings on it to stop leaks pretty cheap too $10 in Aus.

Rigid came in the form of an old curtain rod...I posted a pix over in the show us your diy projects

Back