Incubating a Kettle Sour

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this with the group, a great way of using a sous vide machine to incubate a kettle sour. What you see is 4.25 gallons of wort I made yesterday, pitched with Lactobacillus Delbrueckii and have been holding at 110 degrees for about 16 hours. pH is down to 3.75 at last measuring. When it reaches 3.5 - 3.6, I'll start boiling. The wort's surface is covered with the plastic film you see at the edges of the pot to keep air out - any coliforms or other funky bacteria such as Acetobacter need oxygen. By keeping O2 out, it becomes a relatively pure lacto culture.

upload_2019-9-1_13-25-37.png

If anyone's interested in the beer being made, it's a Kottbusser, another of my obsolete Germany styles. In the wild it would have soured in trade, that is, after leaving the brewery. Since I want a good, drinkable (to me - I'm not a funk fan) beer, I'm kettle souring it. Last sample, the wort was nicely tart but not quite where I want it. I thought about using my sourdough starter as an innoculant but then decided on a pure pitch, at least for this version.

Did the Bavarians ever admit to a sour style? Or is it just the northern countries like Prussia?

Did the Bavarians ever admit to a sour style? Or is it just the northern countries like Prussia?
I think it's just the Prussians. The Bavarians were too proud to serve sour beer. Or at least, too proud to document it.

Back