Fruit in Primary vs Secondary Fermenter

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This is probably a "beat a dead horse" thing but I'll ask it anyway. I want to make a Mango SMaSH. In order to get that mango flavor, what is the consensus on adding the fruit in primary or secondary? I will be using frozen mango purchased from COSTCO.

First, it’s your choice, but there’s no need to transfer a beer (generally speaking) from primary to secondary.

That being said, it’s best to add fruit just as primary fermentation begins to slow down. Just be sure to sterilize the mango (boil) to remove any wild yeast. Be sure to make sure the frozen fruit doesn’t have preservatives.

You don't have to boil. In fact, I favor a more gentle pasteurization. Here's a Pasteurization table:

full

These are the appropriate temperatures and pasteurization times for meats. This table is more generic:
lethalgraph.gif

If you can get the temperature within the mangoes to 60 degrees C (140 degrees F) and hold for 5 mins, you are in the "lethal zone", generally a reduction of bacteria by 100,000x, which should be fine.

Yup, pasturize and put in primary as fermentation is slowing down. No need to have to clean up 2 FERMENTERS and you will not worry about good attenuation this way or 0 2 ingress.

Yup, pasturize and put in primary as fermentation is slowing down. No need to have to clean up 2 FERMENTERS and you will not worry about good attenuation this way or 0 2 ingress.
Depending on how much fruit you put in, you may want to rack the beer off the pulp. I've had to do this with peaches.... No bueno.

Depending on how much fruit you put in, you may want to rack the beer off the pulp. I've had to do this with peaches.... No bueno.
And the shape/style of fermenter can make a difference. A recent brew of mine called for 3 lbs of raspberry purée, but I use a conical and cold crashing helps.

Hoping to continue the discussion on this. I am considering a brew which calls for 8.8lbs of mango (10g batch) fermenter addition. If I get frozen mangos, and pasteurize them right in the bag they come in, will the flavors survive?

Hoping to continue the discussion on this. I am considering a brew which calls for 8.8lbs of mango (10g batch) fermenter addition. If I get frozen mangos, and pasteurize them right in the bag they come in, will the flavors survive?
You thinking about nuking in microwave good idea I recon. Looks like my 70c for half hour is plenty going by noseys graph up there. I think from memory I got mine from milk pasturisation.

Might be cooked mango. Microwaves don't heat evenly. A 70 degree oven may still be the best option.

I was thinking of thawing, then steeping in hot water, in the sealed package.

Should work fine. As long as all of the fruit gets hot enough. Sous vide would be a good option for that.

Back