Residual Bottling Sugar

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't bottled very much so far, it's mostly gone into cask and keg, but I'm starting to enjoy bottling and want to do more.

The batch that I have has come out really nicely, the beer has carbed up really well and tastes great out of the fridge. I am finding quite a bit of sugar settling onto the bottom of the bottle though and would like to get away from that.

Any thoughts as to how I might stop that happening? Shaking them up to dissolve the sugar has seemed like a bad idea so far but that's based on zero knowldge.

Sugar shouldn't be falling out once it's dissolved in the beer. Are you certain it's sugar and not simply spent yeast?

Sugar shouldn't be falling out once it's dissolved in the beer. Are you certain it's sugar and not simply spent yeast?

Interesting question. No I'm not sure to be honest and I just washed a bottle out! It looks more like sugar than yeast but I wouldn't know for sure. Should they get agitated as the bottles are filled to make sure the sugar has dissolved? I've been a bit reluctant to do that so far but not for any really good reason.

Yep reckon it's yeast too.

Ok, I will check tomorrow - no more cold ones now! I guess if it's yeast I'm ok with that, just part of the story :)

I haven't bottled very much so far, it's mostly gone into cask and keg, but I'm starting to enjoy bottling and want to do more.

The batch that I have has come out really nicely, the beer has carbed up really well and tastes great out of the fridge. I am finding quite a bit of sugar settling onto the bottom of the bottle though and would like to get away from that.

Any thoughts as to how I might stop that happening? Shaking them up to dissolve the sugar has seemed like a bad idea so far but that's based on zero knowldge.
Sugar will not fall out once dissolved. My guess is you still have something suspended, yeast or haze, that is dropping out. Besides, if you had that much sugar, you'd taste it. And the sugar will dissolve on its own without agitation.

Back