Estimated FG

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a black IPA in it's 9th day of fermentation and I used Safale US 05 for yeast. The OG was 1.073 and I expected a FG of 1.015. It has been 1.025 for the last 2 days. Did I pitch enough yeast? At this point, I think I'm going to keg it and move on but I was wondering if I should pitch more yeast to get it down.

I wouldn’t keg it yet, as that FG is a little high. I would say it has stalled. You can give it a gentle agitation (carboy) and raise the temp a degree or two to see if wakes up the yeast. Gentle because you don’t want to introduce oxygen to the beer.

Do you have any un-fermentable sugars (lactose, etc) in the recipe?

I wouldn’t keg it yet, as that FG is a little high. I would say it has stalled. You can give it a gentle agitation (carboy) and raise the temp a degree or two to see if wakes up the yeast. Gentle because you don’t want to introduce oxygen to the beer.

Have you got the same gravity 3 days in a row, or was that your first final gravity reading.

Do you have any un-fermentable sugars (lactose, etc) in the recipe?

The reading has been the same for 2 days and I have been giving it a little shake twice a day but nothing has changed. The temp moves from 72F to 74F. I don't want to go much higher than that. No unfermentable sugars.

Reactions: J A
The reading has been the same for 2 days and I have been giving it a little shake twice a day but nothing has changed. The temp moves from 72F to 74F. I don't want to go much higher than that. No unfermentable sugars.
My last batch stalled at 1.023 I left this thing for 5 days. I raised temp I 're pitched more yeast I roused fermentor morn and afternoon after work I even saw the old airlock on the bubble. Then took a hydro sample after a few days of this and what dya know it was 1.023!:eek::mad:. So that's when I chose to keg. It's tasting bloody good now too but def didn't attenuate quite as expected.

Give it a few more days some heat won't hurt the beer now this end of fermentation think what's the worst thing that can happen you get complete attenuation.

If it ain't moved in another couple days then keg drink rinse repeat bar the stalled ferm bit ;).

My last batch stalled at 1.023 I left this thing for 5 days. I raised temp I 're pitched more yeast I roused fermentor morn and afternoon after work I even saw the old airlock on the bubble. Then took a hydro sample after a few days of this and what dya know it was 1.023!:eek::mad:. So that's when I chose to keg. It's tasting bloody good now too but def didn't attenuate quite as expected.

Give it a few more days some heat won't hurt the beer now this end of fermentation think what's the worst thing that can happen you get complete attenuation.

If it ain't moved in another couple days then keg drink rinse repeat bar the stalled ferm bit ;).

One way or the other, I'll be drinking it very soon. Thanks for the advice.

I have a black IPA in it's 9th day of fermentation and I used Safale US 05 for yeast. The OG was 1.073 and I expected a FG of 1.015. It has been 1.025 for the last 2 days. Did I pitch enough yeast? At this point, I think I'm going to keg it and move on but I was wondering if I should pitch more yeast to get it down.

Are you using a refractometer to check the gravity?

Are you brewing with extract or is this an all grain brew?

Back