HIGH ABV

Brewer #139761

Trial Member
Reaction score
Gluten free extract brewer here.
Recently when entering GF fermentables like sorghum/rice syrup the ABV automatically rises to around 10%. This has not happened before. Can anyone assist please.

Gluten free extract brewer here.
Recently when entering GF fermentables like sorghum/rice syrup the ABV automatically rises to around 10%. This has not happened before. Can anyone assist please.
Probably best to attach a link to recipe that way easier to see what's going on.
Got to tools Share tick the boxes then copy and paste the link in a msg here and she'll be apples.

Ok i'll remember that in the future(first time poster).
I was told that there is some bug in the recipe builder and if you put "0" in post boil it works fine.
Not sure how i can refer this to brewers friend to fix?
for the record- i did try the zero and it worked.

Ok i'll remember that in the future(first time poster).
I was told that there is some bug in the recipe builder and if you put "0" in post boil it works fine.
Not sure how i can refer this to brewers friend to fix?
for the record- i did try the zero and it worked.
Yeah wait and see what the admins have to say on this. Are you talking late addition malt syrup additions? I suspect if GF it'll still be fermentable though?

Just normal fermentables.
Another GF brewer said he experienced the same issue. Not sure how he worked out putting the “0” in post boil but it seems to work.

Test recipe shows 18.24 ABV just when adding 3kg of sorghum syrup.
I think I've got it it's the new pre and post boil volume thing. See your post boil volume is 5lt not 21lt as per your expected final volume yes?
I did the same thing in recipie creator when I put preboil 11lt and post 5 with 3kg fermentables it was 1.130. It's because the calculator thinks your making a 5lt batch with 3lt of fermentables which should reach a Starting Gravity as per it's estimate.
20190820_202742.jpg

If you go In and change that post boil to 21lt and your pre boil (whatever your boil off is ontop) let's say 24lt it should be down around a 1.026 ish Starting or Original Gravity reading.
20190820_203556.jpg

That makes sense. Thank you.
So really, the “post boil” should always be the same as the batch size right? And the pre boil is the true size of the pre boil.

That makes sense. Thank you.
So really, the “post boil” should always be the same as the batch size right? And the pre boil is the true size of the pre boil.

No, not necessarily. The post-boil is the amount in the kettle after the boil. You may pour all of it to the fermenter for the batch size, but many people do not do that. For example, I have 11 gallons post boil, but when I have a lot of hop debris from making an IPA, I end up with only 10.5 gallons going into the fermenters- my "batch size".

Back