My first (IPA ish) attempt

iamsnowbear

Trial Member
Reaction score
Decided to take a crack at something a little different than my normal pale ale. Below is what I brewed yesterday in my 5 gallon setup. I was considering possibly dry hopping for the first time on this batch. What do you all think? Thoughts and any general feedback is appreciated!

Steeped 3lbs American 2 row grains for 30 min

3lbs Sparkling Amber LME
3lbs Pilsen Light DME

3oz Citra hops AA 12.8% @ 60min
1oz Cascade Hops AA 6.2% @10 min
1oz Centennial Hops AA 6.2% @ flameout

1 packet Safale US-05 dry ale yeast

should be fine but I wouldn't waste citra for bittering, it would go perfect between the cascade and centennial but at the same time that's a pretty bitter beer

I agree with Ozarks, Citra is too spendy to use as a bittering hop, and 3oz of anything seems heavy for a 60 minute addition. The most bitter beer I have made (116 ibu's) got 1oz of magnum first wort (added when transferring first runnings to the kettle), and 1oz of Simcoe at 60 minutes.

Have you tried loading the recipe into the Brewer's Friend recipe builder?

I agree with Ozarks, Citra is too spendy to use as a bittering hop, and 3oz of anything seems heavy for a 60 minute addition. The most bitter beer I have made (116 ibu's) got 1oz of magnum first wort (added when transferring first runnings to the kettle), and 1oz of Simcoe at 60 minutes.

Have you tried loading the recipe into the Brewer's Friend recipe builder?

Thanks Ozarks & Craigerr!

Thanks for your input, I couldn't quite figure out the calculator since I didn't know what to fill out in a few of the later boxes. There wasn't much reasoning to the order of the hops I selected. I did decide to use the citra ones first since they had the higher AA%.

I used that amount of hops in total as I was kind of comparing other IPA 5 gal recipes on here. I'll be most likely ordering some more ingredients this week for a possible additional brew this weekend. Would you suggest adding the majority of the hops towards the end of the boil instead of at the start?

cheers!

If you're doing something IPAish, then try a dry hop. It's about all that's left that unites the various children of the style. I do like citra in a dry hop if you've got any left. Also enjoyed many with that citra centennial cascade mix as a dry hop, if you've got some of each left.

I am still learning, far from an expert.
What I can tell you is that different hops bring different things to the table when added at different times. Citra's qualities for instance are best suited for late boil, whirlpool, or dry hop additions. The citrusy flavor and aroma shine!

I am still learning, far from an expert.
What I can tell you is that different hops bring different things to the table when added at different times. Citra's qualities for instance are best suited for late boil, whirlpool, or dry hop additions. The citrusy flavor and aroma shine!

We are all in this together! If my brew is going to be too bitter with my adding 3 oz at the start of the boil, should dry hopping help at all help remove some of that? or has that ship sailed?

Dry hopping won't help it. Save your hops, It will be bitter enough that I doubt any aroma you'd get from dry hops would be noticeable. For IPAs I usually try to get about 35% of my IBUs from the 60 minute addition and the remainder from late boil and/or post boil additions.There's always the next batch. Learning from our mistakes is part of the hobby.

I agree with bob. I would save the hops and forgo a dry hop addition. The level of bitterness will not be able to be appreciably offset.

We are all in this together! If my brew is going to be too bitter with my adding 3 oz at the start of the boil, should dry hopping help at all help remove some of that? or has that ship sailed?
Weirdly I've been hearing that dry hopping can reduce bitterness. Seems that the vegetative material acts like a bit of a buffer, pushing bitterness down if it was high, but bringing it up if was low.

That said, whether this wil help you out is completely dependent on what you perceive as too bitter. So may be purely academic.

Far more detail (than you may want) here - http://scottjanish.com/dry-hopping-effect-bitterness-ibu-testing/

Steeped 3lbs American 2 row grains for 30 min

3lbs Sparkling Amber LME
3lbs Pilsen Light DME

3oz Citra hops AA 12.8% @ 60min
1oz Cascade Hops AA 6.2% @10 min
1oz Centennial Hops AA 6.2% @ flameout

1 packet Safale US-05 dry ale yeast

According to the recipe builder this hop schedule would calculate to 150 IBUs.

1oz of Citra @ 60 min with the same 10 min and flameout additions would yield 58 IBUs.

Let us know how it turned out.

According to the recipe builder this hop schedule would calculate to 150 IBUs.

1oz of Citra @ 60 min with the same 10 min and flameout additions would yield 58 IBUs.

Let us know how it turned out.

I quit when I saw the 60 minute addition was swell over 100 IBUs. I can't even imagine bittering with half that amount of Citra.

I quit when I saw the 60 minute addition was swell over 100 IBUs. I can't even imagine bittering with half that amount of Citra.

Yeah mistakes were made that is for sure. I dry hopped it for a couple days and will be adding 1oz of extra sugar before bottling it a little early. I just tossed up my latest brew from last night if you wanna have a look.

Back