double Ipa any thoughts

I like it. I just used Cascade to hop up an IPA that I will be bottling tomorrow.

Good luck.

I wouldn't use that much honey malt. My go to for ipa is victory. If you prefer munich that would work or maybe some c 10 or c20. Have you ever put that much honey malt in a beer? Usually 4oz is enough to give it a maltty sweetness in 5gal. With that gravity you won't need to enhance sweetness.
I would also switch the 60 min bittering hop to the falconers and then cascade. Your 2 -15min additions would go to 0min, then whirlpool to bring out better aroma.
Just my thoughts. CHEERS

I agree that a little goes a long way, but I don't think 6% of the grain bill is unrealistic for Honey Malt. It is sweet, so if that's what the OP is going for, by all means.

Replace at least 1# of DME with plain table sugar. Decrease the honey considerably to 1/2# at the most. Move your 45 and 30 minute additions to end of the boil/whirlpool. Triple your dry hop amount. Obviously just my take.

Last edited:
I agree on reducing or eliminating the honey malt. Munich or a very light crystal would be my choice. I'd also use a higher alpha hop at 60 for about 35% of the IBUS and either mover the other kettle additions to 10 and 1, or whirlpool/hop stand, adjusting quantities as needed. My personal preference would be 10 and 1.

Or even scratch the honey altogether in
I agree on reducing or eliminating the honey malt. Munich or a very light crystal would be my choice. I'd also use a higher alpha hop at 60 for about 35% of the IBUS and either mover the other kettle additions to 10 and 1, or whirlpool/hop stand, adjusting quantities as needed. My personal preference would be 10 and 1.
Uh, honey malt IS a very light crystal.... I actually think it could help - maybe not a pound of it - balance out the bitterness.

It's much sweeter than C-20 which is about its match in color, it's actually much closer to melanoidin or brumalt than caramel and is produced using much the same process, just not as highly kilned.

You see sugar a lot in IIPA recipes. It will help it finish drier so it’s not cloying

i'm a little hesitant on the cane sugar but I did swap it for some of the dme

Just a suggestion. I use plain old table sugar a lot when I want more fermentability. It will help balance the hops and not end up too sweet.

To me it looks like it is going to be very bitter with not much hop flavor. If that is what you are looking for then go for it. Personally I would move half of the boil hops to a whirlpool, as others have suggested.
The efficiency seems a little low, although I don't know your process. I usually get about 8% alcohol with about 13 lbs of grain.

A little sweet, a little bitter, brew it. With high alcohol content, it could balance out well. CHEERS!

Back