Help with recipe

Mutno

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have made two batches so far and it did not turned out as expected, but we drink it all...

So I need your help in this new APA one. Is percentage and selection of malt ok, and what do you think about hops selections and schedule?

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 10.00 L

2.20 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)
0.15 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (63.0 SRM)
0.10 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.05 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM)

10.00 g Centennial [9.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min
8.00 g Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min
8.00 g Centennial [9.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min
6.00 g Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min
6.00 g Centennial [9.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min

7.00 g Cascade [6.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
7.00 g Centennial [9.80 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

For the process BIAB: I add malt to 6.5L of water and mash at 66 C for 60min, sparge with 9L water at 75.6 C, boil for 60min, 14 days in fermenter (do not use secondary), dry hop on second week of fermentation, bottle with corn sugar 8g per L and leave it in bottles for 14 days.

Is that ok?

I would trust Nosy's advice, if he says it is a good looking recipe, it will be.

Couple other things to consider though.
What is your water source?
If there is chlorine in it you need to fix that, campden tablet will take care of that.

Fermentation temperature.
At peak fermentation temperature could be as much as 5-8 degrees Celsius higher than ambient. What you can do there is put the fermenter in a tub of water and add ice as needed. I have never actually done this. Once I realized that I need to control ferm temp I bought a used fridge and a temp controller. YouTube swamp cooler beer you find numerous different ways to keep it within ferm temp range.

My beer went from meh, to yum when I fixed these two issues.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

For the water:

ph=7.5

Cl 25.9 ppm
Na 11.2 ppm
Mg2 12.7 ppm
Ca2 73.1 ppm
SO4 39.4 ppm
НСО3 219.6 ppm

Fermentation temp is around 23C, +- 1C and do not vary often. But now is very hot here so I think water tub is good advice.

I'd try and get that ferm temp a little lower like below 20c it might help to get a cleaner fermentation profile.

Thank you all. I will try to lover ferm, temperature and then I will let you know how it turns out.

Good luck with it!

Update on the process:

Brew day (Friday) went really well, good mash temp. post boil volume etc.

I had to use Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-04) because they did not have #US-05. I have put glass carboy fermenter in water, water temp. is 19C. Fermentation start very quickly and it was vigorous, and after 24h (now) is 1 airlock bubble every 20 seconds. Good krausen at the top.

I have read that it is normal behaviour for #US-04.

Hope everything will be ok until the end.

I would trust Nosy's advice, if he says it is a good looking recipe, it will be.

Couple other things to consider though.
What is your water source?
If there is chlorine in it you need to fix that, campden tablet will take care of that.

Fermentation temperature.
At peak fermentation temperature could be as much as 5-8 degrees Celsius higher than ambient. What you can do there is put the fermenter in a tub of water and add ice as needed. I have never actually done this. Once I realized that I need to control ferm temp I bought a used fridge and a temp controller. YouTube swamp cooler beer you find numerous different ways to keep it within ferm temp range.

My beer went from meh, to yum when I fixed these two issues.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

You must mean Fahrenheit? I've brewed some 250 batches using only ambient to control the fermentation temp, and I've never seen more than 4 C above ambient. Normally I get 2 degrees more at most, but then I try to avoid violent fermentations.

You must mean Fahrenheit? I've brewed some 250 batches using only ambient to control the fermentation temp, and I've never seen more than 4 C above ambient. Normally I get 2 degrees more at most, but then I try to avoid violent fermentations.
A lot of us still live in a backward land that can't figure out decimals. And no, he means Celsius, and it's possible. I have never seen that wide a range but then, as you say, I try to keep things under control.

Do you have a temperature controlled chamber for fermenting? I guess my quoted number of degrees is a little excessive, but controlling ferm temp was more my point.

Do you have a temperature controlled chamber for fermenting? I guess my quoted number of degrees is a little excessive, but controlling ferm temp was more my point.

No, I live in a large, old house with a cold cellar with thick stone walls, and I can always find a room with the desired temperature. So I just keep an eye on my fermentors (plastic buckets), and move them around as needed. (I use thermostrips to keep track of the temperature.) It's easier than it sounds as I have a pretty good idea of how each brew is going to behave.

I kind of like doing it this way, and as I am retired, I can follow up a brew very closely if needs be. Actually I think it may even be better doing it this way, as the temperature won't go oscillating up and down all the time, as it must do when you use electronic control. Right now I have a pilsner standing on the cellar floor, and it's been dead steady on 58F for 3 days now, since I started it. (In the winter, it would have been 50. This is an experiment, as I haven't tried brewing a pilsner in the summer before. Seems it will be a quite nice beer, if the test sample I just pulled can be trusted. Yeast is Imperial L17.)

When using ambient to control temperature, it's definitely best if you can start a little low. (I think that generally is best anyway.) Start low, use enough healthy yeast, and you won't get those violent fermentations where everything get out of control. I never need to use a blow off-tube (well, except for hefewissens, but I don't brew those much), and the temperature very seldom rises more than a couple of degrees C (= 4F).

A room with a stable temperature of 62F will be good for most ales. Let fermentation start at that temperature, and then you can let it free-rise. It will probably end up at 68, and then you can move it to a warmer room as the temperature starts to fall. 70 or 72 won't hurt it then.

Must be wonderful living in that environment. It's 90F here right now and it will be 99° before the day is done. It costs me $400 a month to keep my house at 74°. If I didn't have a ferm chamber I wouldn't be able to brew anything but ales with kveik in the summer. I have a pilsner going in there right now. (headed to 105°this Saturday) :mad:

Last edited:
Must be wonderful living in that environment. It's 90F here right now and it will be 99° before the day is done. It costs me $400 a month to keep my house at 74°. If I didn't have a ferm chamber I wouldn't be able to brew anything but ales with kveik in the summer. I have a pilsner going in there right now. (headed to 105°this Saturday) :mad:

Here we've got a heat wave right now, meaning the daytime temperature will be higher than 77F. I find that a little too high. 70-72 is what I like best.

Here's how my system works. Top of the cellar stairs, 62 F right now:).

Trappist-øl.jpg

Hello all,

I have opened first bottle yesterday and am very pleased with the result :) I like almost everything about this beer (not saying it is the best beer I have ever tasted, but for sure best one I have ever made), one thing I will change is spicy flavor that comes from centennial hop. Next time I will bitter with nugget or some similar hops. Haziness I don't see as a problem.

Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• apa.jpg
    apa.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 93
Nice color! Glad it turned out good!

Back