When to take your starter off the stir plate?

I'm betting any yeast manufacturer would answer your question better than us, most are very nice people

I've been in touch with Imperial, and yes, they seem great people:). That was about something else, but I've asked them about this, too, and I'm still hoping for an answer. It's been a few days, but I guess they've got other things to do besides answering questions from me.

... but I've asked them about this, too, and I'm still hoping for an answer. It's been a few days, but I guess they've got other things to do besides answering questions from me.
Well they are responsible for billions upon billions of lives... no matter how relatively small they are. :D

I think your search for answers and your quest for better beer is admirable. Some of the best advice I heard was never take advice from someone unless you taste their beer or if they are known to a great brewer (I guess that includes my advice).

In the past I did quite a bit research on yeast and to find the answer to one question required me to go to multiple sources, most often I found the answer in some obscure white paper I found after hours of looking. I rarely found real specific information on forums, but I did find leads. People on forums may mean well, but often give misinformed answers that mislead or discount your idea.

You may find an answer somewhere, but measuring an outcome or significant improvement in the beer may prove frustrating. However, often great beer comes from an accumulation of small changes. If one of the changes were removed it would make little difference, but the sum of all the improvements/changes makes a world of difference.

I am a believer in yeast being the key to great beer, any improvement is usually worth the effort. I wish you luck. But it may be that Palmer is blowing smoke up people’s asses or he’s on to something. Who knows? Time will tell.

I'm not sure John smokes;)? Anyway, he's not the yeast expert, he's probably got this from Chris White, or at least he has ok'd it. (He's on the acknowledgements list in HtBr.). But I've heard this in a beersmith podcast as well from guys from Imperial Yeast - and they're yeast experts. Link to the pod in my first post.

Back