Oh those poor, suffering Craft Beer drinkers!

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
LOL....more first world problems to put up with as the craft brew fans suffer from choice fatigue! Suffer??!! Really? Well at least the folks at Duclaw have settled the age old question of what plain old beer is....it's a lager with Chinook and Halltau!

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2019/07/baltimores-duclaw-brews-regular-beer/

It seems to me that their choice of labeling is not that original either. Do any of you other old farts recall an entire line of consumer goods marketed as "generic" back in the 70's? They had basically the same packaging...RateBeer says its still out there!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/general-generic-beer/7987/

LOL....more first world problems to put up with as the craft brew fans suffer from choice fatigue! Suffer??!! Really? Well at least the folks at Duclaw have settled the age old question of what plain old beer is....it's a lager with Chinook and Halltau!

https://wtop.com/business-finance/2019/07/baltimores-duclaw-brews-regular-beer/

It seems to me that their choice of labeling is not that original either. Do any of you other old farts recall an entire line of consumer goods marketed as "generic" back in the 70's? They had basically the same packaging...RateBeer says its still out there!

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/general-generic-beer/7987/

I do remember it well. If I recall correctly the first generics simply had 'beer' on the black and white label.
When I first saw the new labels for Regular Beer, it did indeed take me back and I actually like the labeling. I don't really care about all the logistics and burnout and blah, blah, blah. But I do like regular beer :D I think I'd buy it over another hazy NEIPA.

I'd choose a PBR over any NEIPA I've ever tasted. Want a Juicy beer? Just put a bunch of Coors Light in the punch bowl :)

LOL... We already have “regular beer.” Bud, Miller, Coors, PBR, etc. I remember generic beer in the 70’s. It was a failed experiment as will this attempt fail. Marketing, branding, price and scale economies is what it takes to make money selling lagers. Time to grab me a “regular” PBR with lunch.

I do remember it well. If I recall correctly the first generics simply had 'beer' on the black and white label.
When I first saw the new labels for Regular Beer, it did indeed take me back and I actually like the labeling. I don't really care about all the logistics and burnout and blah, blah, blah. But I do like regular beer :D I think I'd buy it over another hazy NEIPA.
The old generic beer sold well cause it was only $.99 a sixpack!

I haven't been to Trader Joe's in a while, but they have or had a Simpler Times Lager and Simpler Times Pilsner

Attachments

• simpler times.jpg
    simpler times.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 203
In Norway there's a brewery called Gran brewing a pilsner they call "Just beer" ("Bare øl", in Norwegian.) Last year in a test it was elected "best industrial pilsner". And I really think it is the best. Crisp and nice. It's also fairly cheap, So yeah, you can get good, cheap beer. It's the one I'll buy if I want a "generic" Norwegian pilsner. (Though I'm quite happy with the pilsners I brew myself:).)

I thought the white labeled black printed Beer cans were just props from the b movie Killer Klowns From Outer Space until I heard people not so fondly remember it. From what I hear it's still made but not sold in many states. Duclaw isn't that great if your wanting to try their regular beer. I haven't had that particular one.
Sweet Baby Jesus is their big seller and I've never been a big fan. It's a chocolate peanut butter porter. It's just ok, I've had better chocolate peanut butter beers.

Man Beer beer was the bomb when I was young. I do think we're hitting saturation at least in some markets, some of these breweries are going to start closing I expect or consolidating as they discover how much work is involved for how little profit.

I'd say only 40% of the craft breweries make a good product. Just because you have a bunch of shiny equipment doesn't mean you can make good beer. I think there is a significant amount of culling room. How many NEIPAs do we need on the shelves? Seems like that's all anyone brews any more. It's boring

I'd say only 40% of the craft breweries make a good product. Just because you have a bunch of shiny equipment doesn't mean you can make good beer. I think there is a significant amount of culling room. How many NEIPAs do we need on the shelves? Seems like that's all anyone brews any more. It's boring
I'd agree. Oddly, the "boring" styles tend to standout for me on a tap list, like a good brown ale or bitter

When visiting a brewery for the first time, I order the lightest, most boring style on the menu. I figure if they can get that right, it's worth branching out. If not, I pay up and go.

Exactly Nosy! I pretty much do the same towards an ale as my benchmark since I think I brew a good one. My impression on the fancy flavor stuff is the brew master saving a batch that was headed in the wrong direction. Vanilla or coconut seems to cover a multitude of sins for my taster.

Exactly Nosy! I pretty much do the same towards an ale as my benchmark since I think I brew a good one. My impression on the fancy flavor stuff is the brew master saving a batch that was headed in the wrong direction. Vanilla or coconut seems to cover a multitude of sins for my taster.
As do hops.

Back