Rye Cream Ale

Cool. Thanks.

Still unsure of the yeast choice. I may experiment with a 2565/Notty blend since I have slurries f both.

Thanks. What yeast would you recommend?

Here is my reasoning. I've heard a bunch about Notty being extremely clean when fermented at or below 60F. I would not use it if planning to ferment warmer. I have also seen a lot of cream ales recipes that use kolsch yeast. Plus, I have been wanting to experiment with blending for a while. A clean ale yeast and a kolsch yeast seems like a winner for this style although who knows what a blend would bring to the party...

That being said, we'll see. Considering something like a Cali Lager yeast as well

Last edited:
Kolsch works. There is a specific cream ale blend, I can't remember the designation. I use it in my Kentucky Common and it does make a very clean ale. Key to keeping it a Cream Ale is to keep the fermentation ultra clean. Cali Common yeast should work as well.

Gonna give it a go on Friday. Not really a cream ale at this point but it will make beer.

I may want to get together for a bottle share on this one - my imagination is not coming up with a good descriptor of a rye cream ale....

I may want to get together for a bottle share on this one - my imagination is not coming up with a good descriptor of a rye cream ale....

Yeah I started with a basic cream ale but it sounded too boring so I added the rye. The hops and yeast are probably unconventional as well so I suppose it's just a cream ale inspired beer. I tend to do that a few times a year.

Last edited:
Yeah I started with a basic cream ale but it sounded too boring so I added the rye. The hops and yeast are probably unconventional as well so I suppose it's just a cream ale inspired beer. I tend to do that a few times a year.
Nothing wrong with that approach!

In the fermenter after a crazy session. Ended up with a mash efficiency of 94% which is a lot higher than planned. I added some water in the middle of the boil and slight adjusted my hop schedule. All said and done ended up with 6 gallons at 1.051 which is about right.

Really curious to see how the yeast blend turns out. Planning 72 hours at 60F, 72 hours at 64F, the letting it finish at 70F before crashing.

Really interested to see what you make of the rye. I would think this recipe is going to let it shine.

I have a much less adventurous Cream Ale in bottles for 2 weeks now. Time to give one a try.

Yeah we’ll see. thought about using flaked rye for a second since it’s more mild but figured just to stick with it. My red rye uses about 20% rye but has a much more bold character all around.

Sitting at 1.011 after one week. I think it’s done but going to let it sit for a couple more days before crashing.

Flavor is very interesting at this point. Has kind of a doughy character with some rye spice in the finish. The yeast and Amarillo hops add some fruity citrus character. It seems that the 2565 dominated the Notty.

This beer has turned out great. I wish I would have pushed the rye up to 15% as it is barely perceptible. I didn’t think such a light malt bill would support more than what I had considering my goals.

Really happy with the yeast blend as well although I will say that the 2565 is definitely dominant. Pretty much a solid cream ale with some fruity yeast notes and perhaps some very minor spice and mothfeel from the rye. Most drinkable beer I’ve made in some time.

Glad that it turned out. Not a big fan of rye in beer, so I would be happy that it would be imperceptible. But if it's your thing, it gives you a point of reference to improve on your recipe.

Glad that it turned out. Not a big fan of rye in beer, so I would be happy that it would be imperceptible. But if it's your thing, it gives you a point of reference to improve on your recipe.

Yeah I can totally understand why some don’t like rye in beer. I honestly don’t enjoy it most commercial beers but I think it can add a nice complexity within certain beers at the right percentage.

Back