Any APA or American IPA recipe recommendations??

Bennyboyca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Can anyone recommend a recipe for an APA or an American IPA that has a BIG hop aroma?

I’ve made 3 or 4 now and they seem to be big on the bitter hop taste but not so big on the aroma..

(I brew with a Grainfather).

Thanks in advance!

It could be the recipe- or it could be something else. What kind of water do you brew with? I've found with IPAs that using the proper water makes all the difference in getting a huge hop aroma and flavor.

Also, how fast do you chill your wort? With it being summer here, sometimes it takes longer to chill, which kills hops aroma and flavor due to the extended hops isomerization (hop oils being converted to bitterness instead of aroma).

It could be the recipe- or it could be something else. What kind of water do you brew with? I've found with IPAs that using the proper water makes all the difference in getting a huge hop aroma and flavor.

Also, how fast do you chill your wort? With it being summer here, sometimes it takes longer to chill, which kills hops aroma and flavor due to the extended hops isomerization (hop oils being converted to bitterness instead of aroma).

Hi! Thanks! I use tap water (in the UK).
Ben.

Hi! Thanks! I use tap water (in the UK).
Ben.

That could be it- maybe the water isn't well suited for IPAs. Do you know the make up of your water?

I have an idea- can you show us a recipe or two that you're unhappy with? Maybe it IS the recipe, but maybe it's not. If it's the recipe, we can help you get a good one. If it's not, we can figure out what's going on with your equipment/water.

Could be process as well - I'm thinking oxygen. If the beer starts with big flavors then fades quickly, it's O2 (likely). But I have to say a lot of IPAs I try have a "brassy" bitterness, very harsh. I'd like to make hoppier beers but to me, water chemistry is a breeze compared to combining hop flavors.

Hey guys! Can anyone recommend a recipe for an APA or an American IPA that has a BIG hop aroma?

I’ve made 3 or 4 now and they seem to be big on the bitter hop taste but not so big on the aroma..

(I brew with a Grainfather).

Thanks in advance!
Do you dryhop? should get good aroma from dryhopping.

My favorite IPA hop combo....citra, simcoe, amarillo. Lots of late boil additions. Some at flameout. Dry hop three days. I've won quite a few competitions with that recipe.

I think troubleshooting your recipe might be a good idea. It took me a long time to start using enough hops in my IPAs. It could be something as simple as that...

Back