How long to leave dry hops in the fermentor

Rusty Shacklefood

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm collecting people's thoughts on their time limit for dry hopping. A Pliny clone calls for 13 days for the first dry hop step. Should I pull the hop (pellet) bag out after several days or is it okay to leave it in the primary till the end?
Thanks.

Hi all, I'm collecting people's thoughts on their time limit for dry hopping. A Pliny clone calls for 13 days for the first dry hop step. Should I pull the hop (pellet) bag out after several days or is it okay to leave it in the primary till the end?
Thanks.
Depends on a few things I'm not a hot head so take with grain of salt but I'll get the ball rolling anyhow. The amount and type of hops used can be a big factor I hear some hops like galaxy being purported as lending to that Grassiness if used heavily in the dry hop. Also I'm guessing if your more inclined at picking it up in your beer what may come across as grassy to someone else may not in your case.
My own personal experience is that I don't get grassy from leaving hops in contact when left in the keg for duration or draught but that may be due to the miniscule dry hop amounts I use compared to Pliny.

Now I don't see why Vinny wouldn't be the best judge for how long them specific dry hops should stay in contact with that world renowned beer he's personally created.

I'd go with the author of that beer if he dry hops with them hops for that amount of time I'd do exactly that:rolleyes:. But remember he may have some different equipment at his disposal at his commercial scale that can't be achieved at the basic homebrew level.

Good luck I hope it turns out as juicy as the original for you!

I also don't notice the vegetal flavours from time left in the fermentor, more from hopping rate. I'm vaguely remembering that the contribution from the dry hop drops off relatively quickly. So while you're still getting a contribution at 13 days I wonder if you could tell the difference from 5 days. I suppose that's why breweries here are now marketing double dry hop and triple dry hop on their beers.

I toss dry hops in the fermenter as soon as the krausen drops and leave them at fermentation temperature , swirling a couple times a day, until they settle out (usually 3 to 5 days). After that, it's cold crash until the beer drops clear. I've tried leaving them in for 3, 5, 7 days and never really found a noticeable difference, so now I let the rest of the process dictate how long they swim.
More often than not, I just go heavy on late boil and whirlpool additions and forget dry hopping. If I don't get the desired aroma, there's always keg hopping.

Appreciate the answers. I'll follow the recipe as specified, thanks to your reassurance, but for my own recipes I'll leave dry hopping until the last few days.

I usually do 3 days and have had great success. I cold crash first then dry hop. If you dry hop before cold crashing you can lose some hop oils during crashing. At least that's what I read never tried doing it both ways as a comparision.

Or you can keg hop and leave them in until the keg is kicked. In my experience, both have their pros and cons

Last edited:
I always Dry Hop but in my secondary. I have never Dry Hopped in the Fermenter. Usually 3 to 5 days. I pull the Hop Bag & cold crash until clear or I fine with gelatin.
On the hot side I First Wort Hop for the whole Boil. Hop additions per Recipe. At Knock Out I steep with the lid on for 15 minutes. New bag of hops & Whirlpool while cooling to Fermentation temp.
Works for me but I like Hop Aroma so I do late addition to the kettle & Dry Hop in Secondary.

Back