water profile and mineral content of Extract?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if/where Briess publishes the water profile/mineral content they use for both their liquid and dry extract?

I don't think they do but all they've removed is water. If you want to reconstitute it, RO or distilled water are best, although the ions in reasonably good tasting tap water (dechlorinate!) won't hurt it.

I don't think they do but all they've removed is water. If you want to reconstitute it, RO or distilled water are best, although the ions in reasonably good tasting tap water (dechlorinate!) won't hurt it.
Yeah, i might just have to use the lamotte kit to figure it out. i'm trying to teach a class on water, and i wanted the starting profile of extracts to keep it detail oriented.

Yeah, i might just have to use the lamotte kit to figure it out. i'm trying to teach a class on water, and i wanted the starting profile of extracts to keep it detail oriented.
It will be interesting to know what the mixed extract pre fermentation PH will come in at.
It's always purported that all the water chemistrys been done by the malt company with Liquid Malt extract.
Your using LME or DME Oliver?

It will be interesting to know what the mixed extract pre fermentation PH will come in at.
It's always purported that all the water chemistrys been done by the malt company with Liquid Malt extract.
Your using LME or DME Oliver?
i don't really use either, but when trying to help people with water additions for extract beers, especially new englands, i'd like to know what mineral content Briess uses for their water to give people the correct mineral additions.

Have you tried reaching out to Breiss?

Any minerals you add are for flavor and clarity. Everything required for conversion was in there when Briess mashed it.

i don't really use either, but when trying to help people with water additions for extract beers, especially new englands, i'd like to know what mineral content Briess uses for their water to give people the correct mineral additions.
Tricky indeed! Are you gunna use 2:1 chloride ratio anyhow? That'll increase whatever mineral ratios briess have already existing in their malt extract. I suppose if their sulphate ratio is high it may then lead to a more ballanced profile and visa versa which wouldn't be so bad?

Back