Happy Independance Day!

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who fought for our independence throughout our great history. And a happy 4th to everyone.

I just know everyone has their smoker or grill rolled out and is prepping a great meal to celebrate. I've trimmed a couple slabs of St. Louis style ribs, salted them and have them resting comfortably in the fridge. Got some bacon and trimmings from the ribs frying up to put in some of My Baked Beans. (recipe below) Wife making up some Mediterranean Orzo Salad too.
Will be posting some pictures as things progress. Let's get with it guys and gals. We wouldn't want to disappoint the grilling Gods.

Converted this recipe from one I usually make with dried beans. Do not drain the canned beans and add about 1 1/2 cups of water at the beginning.

Oops, didn't post all of the instructions. Cut the bacon up into 1/2" pieces and partially cook. Add onions and peppers and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook and cook another minute before combining with remaining ingredients.

Attachments

• Bob.pdf
    548.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Happy 4th! I think all my family works today except me so I'll just be firing up the Camp Chef flat top griddle for some quick bacon cheese burgers.

Thanks to those who fought for our independence throughout our great history. And a happy 4th to everyone.

I just know everyone has their smoker or grill rolled out and is prepping a great meal to celebrate. I've trimmed a couple slabs of St. Louis style ribs, salted them and have them resting comfortably in the fridge. Got some bacon and trimmings from the ribs frying up to put in some of My Baked Beans. (recipe below) Wife making up some Mediterranean Orzo Salad too.
Will be posting some pictures as things progress. Let's get with it guys and gals. We wouldn't want to disappoint the grilling Gods.

Converted this recipe from one I usually make with dried beans. Do not drain the canned beans and add about 1 1/2 cups of water at the beginning.
Thanks for the recipe Bob. I will be making them today if I have time. Do you cook the bacon first or just cut it and toss it in?

Thanks for the recipe Bob. I will be making them today if I have time. Do you cook the bacon first or just cut it and toss it in?

Oops, didn't post all of the instructions. Cut the bacon up into 1/2" pieces and partially cook. Add onions and peppers and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook and cook another minute before combining with remaining ingredients.

Finally kickin back with a whiskey sour, made with one of my favorite go to every day sippers. Hitting the spot after many hours of mowing.
20190704_181818.jpg

...and burgers on the griddle earlier before everyone went to work and blessed me with a quiet house.
20190704_121046-1024x2164.jpg

error

Last edited:
Here are some pics:
Ribs prepped and ready to go on the grill:
Ready.jpg

Hard to see, but put the beans under the ribs so none of the drippings go to waste:
Drippings.jpg

Ribs just before wrapping with some butter and honey:

Wrap.jpg

Finally! Supper time:

Plate.jpg

Happy 4th! I think all my family works today except me so I'll just be firing up the Camp Chef flat top griddle for some quick bacon cheese burgers.

Just started making “smash” burgers on the cast iron griddle on the Weber charcoal kettle a week or so ago. I have never had better tasting burgers in my life. They are sooooo juicy.

Simple....
- 1 lb 80/20 ground chuck
- loosely roll hamburger into 4 - 1/4 lb balls (don’t pack them tight)
- heat cast iron griddle over grill to around 300-350 (f)
- place hamburger balls on hot griddle and smash down to approximately 1/2” thick
- season with salt and pepper
- cook for approximately 1-1/2 to 2 minutes and flip (should be nicely browned and sizzling)
- Cook an additional minute and a half, flip again and add cheese
- remove from heat and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes.
- in the meantime, take some thin sliced artisan bread, season both sides with lightly brushed on olive oil and favorite herb seasonings and place on the grill to toast.

We stopped at a Super Mac fast food place for lunch on the way back to Dublin the day before we left Ireland. Their burgers must have been made like that. The patties were very thin, and the juiciest I can ever remember eating. The cheese was running all over the place too. Great eating.
We don't eat that much beef, but they're definitely on my list to try.

Honestly, I don't grill my burgers much anymore on the pit. They are hands down so much better on the flattop griddle. I never thought I would say that, but yeah, super delicious on the griddle. My Camp Chef is one of the best outside cooking investments I've made. Hot, greasy messes stay outside!

Honestly, I don't grill my burgers much anymore on the pit. They are hands down so much better on the flattop griddle. I never thought I would say that, but yeah, super delicious on the griddle. My Camp Chef is one of the best outside cooking investments I've made. Hot, greasy messes stay outside!

If you would have asked me 6 months ago that I would be using a griddle on my beloved charcoal Weber, I would have laughed. I’ve used it twice now and will never go back to conventional grilling of burgers.

They are definitely the juiciest burgers.

If you would have asked me 6 months ago that I would be using a griddle on my beloved charcoal Weber, I would have laughed. I’ve used it twice now and will never go back to conventional grilling of burgers.

They are definitely the juiciest burgers.
I was the exact same way. Typically I try to stick to a pretty lean diet and the griddle has actually helped with that. Fish filets and skinless chicken breasts also do much better on a flat top.

Guess there is another use for my natural gas grill that I only use as a backup. I'll take the griddle from the kitchen range and use it. Just bought some 80/20, so will be trying as soon as the left over ribs are finished.

Guess there is another use for my natural gas grill that I only use as a backup. I'll take the griddle from the kitchen range and use it. Just bought some 80/20, so will be trying as soon as the left over ribs are finished.
Best use of propane I've found!

Natural gas--- even better.

Works pretty well over charcoal and I use hickory chips to provide some nice Smokey flavor. I don’t have a gas grill as I never had a use for one....until now maybe. :eek:

I have used a large cast iron pan on the gas grill. Works great and keeps the grease from making a mess below.

Back