Cooper's Barleywine 2019

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
It's a bit late, but I'm planning to brew this year's barleywine this weekend.

It's been a while since I've tinkered with a recipe, so I had to re-familiarize myself with all the new bells and whistles. Also, I didn't mess with water additions last year, so that took some fiddling too. Any thoughts? I plan on getting the ingredients on thursday and taste testing last year's batch either tonight or tomorrow

Thanks

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/846258/cooper-s-barleywine-2019

Permission error when I clicked the link

It's a bit late, but I'm planning to brew this year's barleywine this weekend.

It's been a while since I've tinkered with a recipe, so I had to re-familiarize myself with all the new bells and whistles. Also, I didn't mess with water additions last year, so that took some fiddling too. Any thoughts? I plan on getting the ingredients on thursday and taste testing last year's batch either tonight or tomorrow

Thanks

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/846258/cooper-s-barleywine-2019
You gotta share it my friend!

Ah damn. Gets me every time. Try now?
Make sure you keep some DME handy in case preboil don't line up. That will pack a punch looks tasty to me. No oak chips?
My barleywine got hits for no hop aroma but after a year good luck I recon it's a bit hard to achieve. That'd be the only thing I do next is add a hearty flavour hop addition bit still who gunna tell.

I'd go ballanced / malty in water but thats a preference thing...

That looks bloody yum but.

Reactions: J A
Ok. Locked in grain bill. Picked up 3lb dme, and the hops have significantly higher aa than the recipe. I'll tweak the recipe but it looks like we have a goer

>
Ok. Locked in grain bill. Picked up 3lb dme, and the hops have significantly higher aa than the recipe. I'll tweak the recipe but it looks like we have a goer
FOR THE FUTURE OF AMERICA!!
BREW ON!!;)

This looks exceptional. I've not used "Target" hops, but I assume they're a noble variant?

007 is a great choice too. Excited to hear how this turns out!

Water is just about ready.

I havent used the brew session in years, trying it out today. So far so good, but I dont see the lactic acid addition in the water page? It only shows in the recipe view as far as I've seen

It's usually on recipie view it should be in other ingredients in your recipie linked in from water calculator.

It's usually on recipie view it should be in other ingredients in your recipie linked in from water calculator.
Yeah that's where I had to find it. Just seems that I'm adding the acid to the mash, it should show with the other mash water additions.
Oh, and good call on picking up some dme, was a little short on gravity

Yeah that's where I had to find it. Just seems that I'm adding the acid to the mash, it should show with the other mash water additions.
Oh, and good call on picking up some dme, was a little short on gravity
Happy to help a fellow brewer out;). I find it hard to hit my target on that beer I rarely brew over 6% so getting good efficiency at that size grist can be tricky.

Back