MK 2 Pump Dismantle.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday Brewers!
So as the title suggests I want to dismantle my 25 whatt MK2 Drive Pump.
Anyone been able to go further than where I've got in the photo?
Do them cartridge sections thread together? If I grabbed one section with a pair if variable pliers and the other in a vise and put some twisting force on it will that work.
20190621_054125.jpg

I want to get to the motor section of the pump to take a look and to hopefully clean it up the crud that keeps wanting to sieze it.

Water has somehow made its way down into the motor section and I'm thinking has corroded it.
I should be getting a new one in the mail today thanks to Kegland For their generosity. But if I can resurect this one I can still use it in the brewery.
20190621_054138.jpg

Oh hang on I might a just found how these three screws might do the trick.
20190621_060023.jpg

Thanks I used a flat blade screwdriver and a tap with the hammer to sepperate first section and as you can see below these is signs of corrosion water has been in here.
20190621_061030.jpg

So if I do the same at the next seam it should come apart?

Ok it's apart a tap with the hammer sepperate the next section now you can see it's brown with rust. I'll leave it here and get to clean up after work.
20190621_061637.jpg

What's the best approach here for cleaning elbow grease and?

Last edited:
You can get a spray can of electrical cleaner at a automotive parts store. Hose it down real good with that, wipe off any heavy rust and do it again. It evaporates clean so you may need to lube the bearings while putting it back together.

Just buy a new pump, they are dirt cheap now.
Yeah new one arrives today but I'm tighter than a ducks arse and love trying to get things working again (usually break it in the process).
I'll do that headfirst I recon a good clean down and wipe with a cloth might make this sound like an electric motor not a deisel Lol:D!

I've gone one step further and got the( rotor I think it's called) out. It's that bearing at the front that is making all the noise. Moisture has got into it and I recon rusted up the casing inside causing it to run rough it's a bit gritty when I spin it whereas the one at the back seems smooth.

I'll give this a good spray and soak with wd40 and wipe down with a cloth then get to putting it back together.
20190622_070746.jpg

Oh and I'm officially kicked off the table missus freaked out when she saw what I was up to on her nice Tassy Oak table :p. Get out in your grubby shed don't be doing that in here he he he!

Got it all cleaned up and put back together it still sounds like a tractor because of the bearing but I'll use this as a back up and for my tank I recently got gunna rig it up to recirculate through IC. Anyhow here's a clip of my tractor motor running and a comparison test with new one.

You could probably get a new race and bearings. The current race may be so pitted it won't be worth putting new bearings in. Though if it's just a back up, slather in the grease and put on the headphones.

After all that I've also decided to mount the pump underneath and horizontally not vertically just in case water gets inside it won't Drain down through the unit this way :rolleyes: I don't want a repeat.
20190622_163632.jpg

You could probably have new bearings put on there. I live in farm country and there is a place called bearing belt and chain that would press new bearings on that shaft. Farmers can fix anything with a welder and a torch lol

You could probably have new bearings put on there. I live in farm country and there is a place called bearing belt and chain that would press new bearings on that shaft. Farmers can fix anything with a welder and a torch lol
I agree the thought crossed my mind but not worth the hassle. I'm not sure of anyone around here to do it.

you can also mash in some thick wheel bearing grease to quiet it down

Back