Peaches

BilltownBrewingCo

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all. We have a pretty good supply of Missouri peaches during certain times of the year that we would like to utilize in a beer. No offense to any Georgians out there, but they just seem to taste better than the other peaches that are available year round.

I am, however, not wanting to do the standard wheat+fruit=yummy, because after a while it just feels like a crutch and gets boring. Anyone have any suggestions on a style of beer that would be well supplemented by a secondary addition of quality peaches?

I am currently thinking saison, or maybe even an NEIPA

Thanks!

I am drinking a NEIPA I made from local peaches right now!
I also used locally grown hops (may not use these hops again) but the beer is great. I used about 5lb of peaches, the beer has a great peach aroma and a wonderful mouth feel. I will be making this again once my neighbors tree is harvested, I will change the hops to more Citra/Comet and cascade.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/701660/son-of-a-peach-milkshake-neipa

Hey all. We have a pretty good supply of Missouri peaches during certain times of the year that we would like to utilize in a beer. No offense to any Georgians out there, but they just seem to taste better than the other peaches that are available year round.

I am, however, not wanting to do the standard wheat+fruit=yummy, because after a while it just feels like a crutch and gets boring. Anyone have any suggestions on a style of beer that would be well supplemented by a secondary addition of quality peaches?

I am currently thinking saison, or maybe even an NEIPA

Thanks!
Be willing to do a lot of work! Colorado has the world's best peaches (Texas restricts the size of them we can export to avoid embarrassing their pathetic little Fredericksburg fruit) and I've tried to use them in beer. Their flavor is very mild so you end up using a lot of them (hence, why we put them in the world's most boring craft beer, American Wheat). About two pounds per gallon is required to get appreciable peach flavor. This amount of fruit generates problems with pectin haze and beer losses to the fruit pulp. And separating the beer from the pulp is a nightmare. You add your peaches to a strongly flavored beer like a Saison, you won't notice your peaches. NEIPA, even worse. Stick to something mild (a Peach ESB might suggest cobbler) and be ready for some hard work to get the pulp out.

I vote Saison. It takes quite a bit to give it much flavor but aroma comes through easily. 30 IBU's of clean boil bitter, and a touch of honey malt helps the peaches stand out. The flavor will fade after several months but it won't last that long anyway. Keep grain bill clean and simple. 2row or pils, maybe a bit of Vienna or munich, whatever is your favorite.

Well the NEIPA I just brewed and kegged last week is very peachy. About 5lb peaches in a 24L (5gal) batch, yes the pulp took up alot of the beer, no issues with separation of fruit and beer but only kegged about 18-19 liters. Mild peach taste, strong peach aroma. I will be making this every peach season since the fruit is free to me.
From the batch I just brewed and IMHO I give the peach NEIPA a solid thumbs up.:D

Well the NEIPA I just brewed and kegged last week is very peachy. About 5lb peaches in a 24L (5gal) batch, yes the pulp took up alot of the beer, no issues with separation of fruit and beer but only kegged about 18-19 liters. Mild peach taste, strong peach aroma. I will be making this every peach season since the fruit is free to me.
From the batch I just brewed and IMHO I give the peach NEIPA a solid thumbs up.:D
Sounds like you put peach pulp and all in fermentor and after fermentation racked off the top there Valka?
How did you go about sanitizing the peach juice/pulp?

Sounds like you put peach pulp and all in fermentor and after fermentation racked off the top there Valka?
How did you go about sanitizing the peach juice/pulp?
I had frozen the fresh peaches in the early fall, before freezing them I blanched them to remove the skin. Out of the freezer and puree'ed them, added them to the boil with about 5 min to go.
With my Mango NEIPA I have tried adding the fruit to boil at 5 min, pasteurizing and adding 3-5 days into fermentation and adding at 10-12 days. I find the boil has worked best so far. But I will try adding the fruit at high kraeusen on the next batch.

I had frozen the fresh peaches in the early fall, before freezing them I blanched them to remove the skin. Out of the freezer and puree'ed them, added them to the boil with about 5 min to go.
With my Mango NEIPA I have tried adding the fruit to boil at 5 min, pasteurizing and adding 3-5 days into fermentation and adding at 10-12 days. I find the boil has worked best so far. But I will try adding the fruit at high kraeusen on the next batch.
Ok it's always good to see what others are doing when it comes to fruit. I decided to skip my usual fruit pasturisation (70c half hour puree then add to secondary fermentation) and just froze the pealed fruit cleaned and sanitized the thermo and just wizard it up and added it raw hop ball in keg. I suspect maybe some fragile aromas/flavours may be lost in the pasturisation process.
So far no off flavours.

Back