Mash Water/Grain Ratio - How to determine

Reaction score
I have a question about how to know what my mash water/grain ratio should be. i'm trying to figure out how much strike water I need for my robobrew to mash 9lbs of grain.

Can someone explain how / where I can figure out what this number is supposed to be?

Like everything brewing, there are many answers to your question: Liquor to grist ratio (proper names for what you're asking about) affects conversion. You also have to plan for things like step mashing with hot water, the size of your mash tun, salt and acidification of brewing liquor.... No simple answer there but the default values in the 1.25 - 1.5 quarts/pound of grain seem to work well. Using 1.5 quarts per gallon, you'd need 13.5 quarts of water to mash your 9 pounds of grain.

I have a question about how to know what my mash water/grain ratio should be. i'm trying to figure out how much strike water I need for my robobrew to mash 9lbs of grain.

Can someone explain how / where I can figure out what this number is supposed to be?
Also have a look on robo brew website I know these units can get a stuck mash if grain crush is to fine. Hopefully some robo brewers on here might chime in on their go to mash thickness for you. I know Gash Slug has a good tutorial on YouTube on grain crush and mash thickness for that little unit. I don't have a link sorry but I'm sure a search in the YouTube should reveal something.

The Robobrew website recommends you multiple your grain bill in kg by 3, and that's how many liters you should do. I haven't had too much trouble with that. I usually just round up to the next whole number just to be safe

Back