cooler Tun????

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a rectangle cooler for my mash tun, it is getting pretty beat up and warped from all the hot water. I can't find a higher quality one that suit my size needs at the moment but I can find a cheap one.

Has anyone used this type of cheaper ($20-$30cad)
cooler.jpg
cooler for a tun, if so how did it handle the hot per heating water?

For mashing, you might not want “cheap”. It has to hold heat. Cheaper coolers skimp on the insulation and use a cheaper plastic. Open up the purse strings a bit more and get a good solid, name brand cooler that is well insulated to convert. Otherwise, you’ll be doing it again soon.

Hey, I have a rectangle cooler for my mash tun, it is getting pretty beat up and warped from all the hot water. I can't find a higher quality one that suit my size needs at the moment but I can find a cheap one.

Has anyone used this type of cheaper ($20-$30cad)View attachment 6347 cooler for a tun, if so how did it handle the hot per heating water?
I have that exact cooler...well, mine's red, but I've had it a couple of years. I preheat mine and it will hold temps within a few degrees for at least 90 minutes. It is showing signs of warp, but I had the cooler already and I'd say I've gotten my monies worth. For the price I'd buy another if I needed to to get me through.

Yes I do want to get a good one, Price is not a big deal, but I can't find one the appropriate size. Coolers these days seem to be massive !

I have that exact cooler...well, mine's red, but I've had it a couple of years. I preheat mine and it will hold temps within a few degrees for at least 90 minutes. It is showing signs of warp, but I had the cooler already and I'd say I've gotten my monies worth. For the price I'd buy another if I needed to to get me through.

TW do you add for boiling water to preheat?

I add water that's about 170-175 to pre-heat.

Plus 1 towards TW! Keep the preheat water less than boiling.

I was putting boiling or just shy of boiling into my square repurposed cooler and got the warp real bad. It also makes me wonder what sort of petrol based molecular crap I may have ingested in the process. Based on Bob357's experience of many batches I his yellow igloo with no warp what so ever, I now have a DIY'ed 10 gallon yellow Igloo with a CPVC pipe manifold that works great. ( note, the holes are only on one side of the pipe to get the sweet wort off the bottom of the tun and I was showing them off in this pix from an older post...I think there is thread on this whole warpage matter on the BF site)

20190329_195145.jpeg

That's the same cooler I have. I put a blanket over it during mashing and it holds temp great.
Oh yeah on the blanket trick! Twice that in the winter when the garage is only a degree or 2 warmer than outside!

I have a Coleman Xtreme something something and in an hour during the winter I don't drop even 1C. I am a horrible for the preheating but I know how much heat I lose so I just dump it all in at once.

Back