Salted Tart Cider

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry I realize this is not beer related.

Planning to throw a cider together real quick. I am planning to add some lactic acid and sea salt. It will be fermented with a belgian yeast on top of pureed berries. Any thoughts? My ciders are kind of tart by nature so I assume I would need to be careful with my lactic acid amount. Maybe add it at packaging?

Add at packaging. You don't want to over do it.

Same with the salt - it inhibits yeast growth.

Too late. I added about 2/3 as much lactic and sea salt as I had planned. Will likely add more at packaging.

Is salt not added to Goses before fermentation?

3 gallons apple juice
1/2 gallon water
4 oz sugar
2 lbs previously frozen mixed berries (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry) pureed with water & sugar
7g coarse sea salt
6 mL lactic acid
T-58 yeast

Roughly 3.75 gallons into the fermentor
OG = 1.047
From previous experience, I expect a FG around 1.002-3 within a week. Will backsweeten with one can of apple berry concentrate.

Last edited:
Too late. I added about 2/3 as much lactic and sea salt as I had planned. Will likely add more at packaging.

Is salt not added to Goses before fermentation?

3 gallons apple juice
1/2 gallon water
4 oz sugar
2 lbs previously frozen mixed berries (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry) pureed with water & sugar
7g coarse sea salt
6 mL lactic acid
T-58 yeast

Roughly 3.75 gallons into the fermentor
OG = 1.047
From previous experience, I expect a FG around 1.002-3 within a week. Will backsweeten with one can of apple berry concentrate.
When I do one, I put about half my planned salt in the kettle - it won't interfere too much with the yeast (think about it: You put salt in bread to inhibit its rise, wouldn't it do the same in beer?). Then I generally throw the second half of the salt back in the bin because there was enough when I tasted it before packaging. Lots going on in the beer.

It's a cider. Not sure what's considered "lots going on". It's juice, fruit, and yeast with some salt and lactic for character desired character. Thanks for your help.

Most of the Gose recipes I have seen show all the salt added in the kettle. Something to consider when I attempt one in a couple of months...

Just kegged. Finished at 1.003. Color is a dark rosy pink color.

Back-sweetened with one 12 oz can of blueberry pomegranate juice concentrate and added 3g additional sea salt and 3mL lactic acid during transfer. I got a bit of the lactic from the sample but no salt. I think it will be close to what I was going for...

Last edited:

Back