attenuation

Iliff Avenue Brewhouse

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I get two different attenuation figures using the recipe builder and the abv calc tool. The recipe builder doesn't seem to be calculating attenuation correctly. When I enter a custom value of 83% it is actually calculating for 90%.

OG of 1.081 and FG of 1.008
recipe builder shows - 83% aa (not correct)
abv calc shows - 90% aa

We're checking into this. Do you happen to be able to show a screenshot of both, so we can see what you're looking at?

upload_2019-5-20_8-53-19.png

Great- thanks. First, can you check "late addition" with the sugar, as it's not mashed. It might not change it correctly, but it might.

Checking/unchecking that box only changes my IBU figures.

Only seems to be affecting this recipe...

Last edited:
Hmmmm- can you give me the link to the recipe and the calc page, and I'll take a look?

If I delete the sugar and re add it custom, it seems to correct it. Unfortunately, it won't save the changes now.

It won't save the new custom attenuation?

It won't save the recipe. If I go to edit it again, the custom sugar addition is gone with the default one back.

Just for reference the default entry for cane sugar gives me a FG of 1.007. When I delete it and put in a custom field with the same figures, the FG is 1.010 which is correct considering the entry for attenuation.

It won't save the recipe. If I go to edit it again, the custom sugar addition is gone with the default one back.

Just for reference the default entry for cane sugar gives me a FG of 1.007. When I delete it and put in a custom field with the same figures, the FG is 1.010 which is correct considering the entry for attenuation.

Can you show a couple of screenshots, so I can try to recreate the issue (so we can fix it!)?

When I view the recipe:
upload_2019-5-28_7-34-49.png

When I edit the recipe:
upload_2019-5-28_7-38-30.png

Attenuation is set to 85% for both scenarios.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-28_7-34-30.png
    upload_2019-5-28_7-34-30.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 93
Hi, I have been reading these comments, and I didn't find an answer on my issue. I am wondering if the calculations of FG in the recipe builder are correct based on attenuation of the yeast. I have put 75% attenuation for a certain yeast. The OG is 1.080. According to my calculation, based on an attenuation of 75% , FG should 1.020 but the recipe builder calculated 1.016? Is there something I miss?

Hi, I have been reading these comments, and I didn't find an answer on my issue. I am wondering if the calculations of FG in the recipe builder are correct based on attenuation of the yeast. I have put 75% attenuation for a certain yeast. The OG is 1.080. According to my calculation, based on an attenuation of 75% , FG should 1.020 but the recipe builder calculated 1.016? Is there something I miss?

Hmmm something else must be going on. Can you give me a link to the recipe?

Oh, it has sugar in it! I should have thought of that right away. Since simple sugars are 100% fermentable, the attenuation for added sugars aren’t calculated with the yeast attenuation. That means that the sugar will ferment out completely, while the grains will still give you the 75% average.

I've got a similar issue (no sugar, no DME, just standard base and kilned malts).
See here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1124583

OG = 1.055
Attenuation = 76%

EXPECTED FG: 1.013
ACTUAL FG calculated by software: 1.016

it seems the software calculates here a 70-71% attenuation instead of the requested 76% atenuation.
changing the yeast strain or the pitch rate makes no difference

it should be simple math: what am I missing here?

Back