Starsan solution efficacy

Brewer #75486

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know how long does the StarSan solution effective?

A long time, especially if you use soft or distilled water to mix it up. It is supposed to be effective unless the pH is over 3, or until the solution turns cloudy. Since I sometimes forget and mix it with tap water, it turns cloudy right away so I checked into it, and it's still supposed to be effective as long as the pH doesn't rise >3.
I've been brewing about 20 years, and using star-san for about 13 years and I'm on my second bottle!

A long time, especially if you use soft or distilled water to mix it up. It is supposed to be effective unless the pH is over 3, or until the solution turns cloudy. Since I sometimes forget and mix it with tap water, it turns cloudy right away so I checked into it, and it's still supposed to be effective as long as the pH doesn't rise >3.
I've been brewing about 20 years, and using star-san for about 13 years and I'm on my second bottle!
Thanks
I'll check the PH status before using an old solution.
Cheers! for the third bottle.

Christ your second bottle Yooper? Jesus I'm wasteful with this stuff, I need to get some more spray bottles.

Christ your second bottle Yooper? Jesus I'm wasteful with this stuff, I need to get some more spray bottles.
I’ve been brewing for 2-1/2 years and am on my third bottle! :p

I go through a 32oz bottle every year, I'm either very clean or wasteful

My last 32 ounce bottle has lasted three years. I generally can get enough from competitions that I don't have to buy the stuff.

Yep- second bottle. :) As I said, I mix it up a gallon at a time- and use, reuse, etc- I usually spill it all before needing to throw it away. I make wine also, and have been using starsan for all of my sanitizing for years and years.
You don't need to soak carboys or kegs and things- just get them wet with the star-san. Pour out and then onto the next one.

Especially with beer lines and silicone tubing.... after soaking in a Star-San for a few days, the coating of the tubing gets slimey, as if the tubing is degrading or breaking down.

I am coming on 3 years and have used almost 16oz, I brewed about 50+ batches. I make about 12 liters (3 gallons in old money ) store it in a bucket with lids out of the sun or empty kegs........Yes many spray bottles :))

Back