Fix for hop error ?

Reaction score
Noticed my error should say HOP error. ( should avoid using my phone to post in the future:oops:)

So I did kinda big brew day yesterday and did 3 small batch brews. One was a test of cream ale recipe I'm working on, and my first partial mash.
Looking at the numbers I got 65% efficiency which i'm taking as a win especially since I forgot to heat my rinse/sparge water :(. And only missed target OG by 2 points.
Anyway point of the post is to ask if I can fix the BIG mistake I made with this test. (I think I know the answer but since i'm new to this I'll ask)
I forgot to scale my Hop amounts to the smaller test size and instead of 25-26 Ibu, I'm looking at 100.08 ibu:eek: this was supposed to be a cream ale.
I pitched WLP 080 cream ale yeast. But think this may be too high for it to mellow out to reasonable level. Is there anything I can add to maybe cut the bitterness down at this point?. I didn't discover my error until I was writing everything in my log and had already pitched:mad:

Last edited:
Brew two more small batches and blend it out is likely the best option. Second best: Add some fermentable sugars like lactose to balance out the perception of bitterness. Last option: Call it a bitter bomb IPA.

Brew two more small batches and blend it out is likely the best option. Second best: Add some fermentable sugars like lactose to balance out the perception of bitterness. Last option: Call it a bitter bomb IPA.
I think I will try the lactose route, Can't really brew again this week, waay to busy.

While looking to get lactose, it says non-fermentable sugar. Is that what you meant? And if so, should I wait and add this at bottling?

I'd wait and taste what post fermentation tastes like who knows hopefully it wont taste like 100IBU. You can then blend

I'd wait and taste what post fermentation tastes like who knows hopefully it wont taste like 100IBU. You can then blend
Here's the dirty secret about IBUs: Has more to do with how much extract offsets it. I didn't notice your beer's OG but if it were very high, the 100 IBUs won't taste like 100 IBUs. And that's 100 IBUs, a very specific measurement, calculated, not measured. An IBU is 1mg iso-alpha acid/liter of beer (1 ppm). How much we actually get out of our hops and how much we perceive are vastly different.

So, I'd wait until packaging to add, then make up a simple syrup of lactose and water (equal parts works fine). Blend to taste, then add your priming sugar and package.

Here's the dirty secret about IBUs: Has more to do with how much extract offsets it. I didn't notice your beer's OG but if it were very high, the 100 IBUs won't taste like 100 IBUs. And that's 100 IBUs, a very specific measurement, calculated, not measured. An IBU is 1mg iso-alpha acid/liter of beer (1 ppm). How much we actually get out of our hops and how much we perceive are vastly different.

So, I'd wait until packaging to add, then make up a simple syrup of lactose and water (equal parts works fine). Blend to taste, then add your priming sugar and package.
my target gravity was 1.046 got 1.044. I know the cream ale yeast is suppose to subdue the hop flavor and bitterness, but don't think 100 was what they had in mind.
Anyway the lactose is a good idea, i'll wait and see and get it where I can drink it and,it won't go to waste. I did get part of the info I needed from the test so not total screw up.

Session IPA? :D

Your best bet is still going to be to dilute it - I have no idea how much sweetness it would take to offset that much bitter.

Session IPA? :D

Your best bet is still going to be to dilute it - I have no idea how much sweetness it would take to offset that much bitter.
Yeah I know huh, Wish i could use 1 of the other 2 I brewed, but the cerveza is for the Woman ( must keep her happy ) and the other is Octoberfest don't think would go well with this.
So hopefully the yeast will help some and i can use lactose to get to level i can at least tolerate. And worse case is i know a couple of non-discerning drinkers who will take any free alcochol

Yeah I know huh, Wish i could use 1 of the other 2 I brewed, but the cerveza is for the Woman ( must keep her happy ) and the other is Octoberfest don't think would go well with this.
So hopefully the yeast will help some and i can use lactose to get to level i can at least tolerate. And worse case is i know a couple of non-discerning drinkers who will take any free alcochol
Find someone who distills. They can make something out of it for you....

How did the pre fermentation sample taste? Did you notice the bitterness there?
Im gathering if the wort tasted heaps bitter your carbonated bitterness will be even more. That's another thing you can do us carbonate lower to reduce that carbonic bite you can get from to high carbonation.

Had a distilled triple IPA once, you could definitely still taste the hops.
I sent two mixed buckets of bad beer, sweet wine and anything else I had that didn't turn out to a friend. Came back as some of the best moonshine I've ever tasted (and I'm from Kentucky). A few months with an oak spiral and it's a fantastic whiskey! Too bad it's not reproducible.

I had a few pints in me when I got to adding hops to a batch, and in my altered state, thought I should double up on all the hop additions. Woke up in the morning fretting that I had ruined the beer... IBU estimate came out to 110 when I updated the recipe. To my surprise, it turned out great, I have since re-brewed this recipe three times with the doubled up hop adds. Maybe make it a pilot brew, an attempt at Cream IPA ..

How did the pre fermentation sample taste? Did you notice the bitterness there?
Im gathering if the wort tasted heaps bitter your carbonated bitterness will be even more. That's another thing you can do us carbonate lower to reduce that carbonic bite you can get from to high carbonation.
Never thought to taste prior to pitching. Plus I didn't realize my error until after pitching

I had a few pints in me when I got to adding hops to a batch, and in my altered state, thought I should double up on all the hop additions. Woke up in the morning fretting that I had ruined the beer... IBU estimate came out to 110 when I updated the recipe. To my surprise, it turned out great, I have since re-brewed this recipe three times with the doubled up hop adds. Maybe make it a pilot brew, an attempt at Cream IPA ..
Yeah I was thinking of calling it a Cream IPA.
...Also thinking I might use the lactose and some flavoring at bottling will probably make it a crowd pleaser.

So Update, finally got a good taste and, doesn't quite seem like 100 ibu, but definitely a IPA at this point. So far seems to taste like a weird grapefruit tangerine mix. (kinda hard to get clear flavors thru the bitterness for me) Plus side is the bitterness doesn't linger so I might be able to find a few friends to down this with me once it's conditioned. I'll probably skip the lactose. check again when i bottle next week

So Update, finally got a good taste and, doesn't quite seem like 100 ibu, but definitely a IPA at this point. So far seems to taste like a weird grapefruit tangerine mix. (kinda hard to get clear flavors thru the bitterness for me) Plus side is the bitterness doesn't linger so I might be able to find a few friends to down this with me once it's conditioned. I'll probably skip the lactose. check again when i bottle next week
If you have the patience the bitter will fade some within a couple of months. What you are describing sounds a lot like a commercial session IPA.

Back