Gravity reading help

Mark10409

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Looking for a little help in my readings. I brewed the Northern brewer kit Cream Ale (5gal) on 4-27. I am using a ATC refractometer that has a Brix and SG scale. My OG read 1.047 SG, today I am reading 1.023 SG. Using the refractometer calculator online here I am coming up with a FG of 1.008.... Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Mark

What does the kit say it should be?
Does not seem to bad off, but a hydrometer reading will tell you true

That's 80% attenuation. Pretty normal for a Cream Ale. If the gravity stays the same for 48 hours, you're to bottle.

That's 80% attenuation. Pretty normal for a Cream Ale. If the gravity stays the same for 48 hours, you're to bottle.
Thanks Bob, Its been at that reading now for about 3 days.

Hello,
Looking for a little help in my readings. I brewed the Northern brewer kit Cream Ale (5gal) on 4-27. I am using a ATC refractometer that has a Brix and SG scale. My OG read 1.047 SG, today I am reading 1.023 SG. Using the refractometer calculator online here I am coming up with a FG of 1.008.... Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Mark
Sounds about right. What OG were you expecting?

Sounds about right. What OG were you expecting?
well I knew i was close to the OG, i was just wondering if i was calculating the FG right by using a refractometer?
Thanks
Mark

I've used the formulas to convert from refractometer to hydrometer readings with alcohol present quite a bit. I've never differed by more than a point and I can chalk most of that up to error reading the hydrometer - the refractometer is much easier to read. So I rarely use the hydrometer, maybe once at the end of fermentation to record an "official" FG.

I've used the formulas to convert from refractometer to hydrometer readings with alcohol present quite a bit. I've never differed by more than a point and I can chalk most of that up to error reading the hydrometer - the refractometer is much easier to read. So I rarely use the hydrometer, maybe once at the end of fermentation to record an "official" FG.

Thanks!

Back