Bière de Garde

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/821250/bire-de-garde-big-brew-day-2019

This is a style that I've had mostly bad examples of, but the good ones we're fantastic.
I'm brewing a Barrel of it for Big Brew Day.
I was able to get the Vault release, WLP072, directly shipped to me from White Labs in San Diego.
The Recipe was from a friend and certified Judge who has brewed it before with much success.
I'm hoping it comes out good and although I'd like your recipe critiques, I won't be changing anything for the Saturday Brew.
I'll be splitting the batch with 5 others, so I'll only get 5 gallons and regardless of how it comes out, it'll get drank and I'll change and go from there.
Cheers!
Brian

I’m sure you have your reasons as one of the more seasoned brewers here, but from a cost perspective, why not use cane sugar (table sugar) in lieu of beet sugar.

Last edited:
I’m sure you have your reasons as one of the more seasoned brewers here, but from a cost perspective, why not use cane sugar (table sugar) in lieu of beet sugar.
The friend who I got the recipe from is a long time brewer, has brewed with Jamil, is a national judge and has many accolades to go along with everything else.
This also happens to be 1 of his favorite beer styles and he's a purist.
All that being said, I decided I'll just go with what he gave me for a 1st go around.
My thought would have been to replace a big portion of the Vienna with Pilsner malt and change out the sugar, but again it's a 1st go at it.

Oh, and by the way, if you looked at the Black IPA I brewed with unknown grains, It's already really good and It just went to the kegerator about an hour ago! Todd's last stand will be his ending smile down on me from above!
Cheers all,
Brian

Last edited:
I figured you’d have a reason for the obvious suggestion ;) .

Cheers to your tribute, both beer and friend!

Back