Starters in Recipe Builder

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is a convenience but how about doing something similar to the water calculator with the yeast calculator? When I go out and calculate a starter, it would be nice to bring the information back into the recipe (currently I capture it in the notes). Bring, say, cell count, pitch rate, starter volume, DME required back into the "Yeast" section. Or calculate there - it isn't that involved of a calculation - but only if someone checks the starter box. As I said, it's a nice to have.

This is a convenience but how about doing something similar to the water calculator with the yeast calculator? When I go out and calculate a starter, it would be nice to bring the information back into the recipe (currently I capture it in the notes). Bring, say, cell count, pitch rate, starter volume, DME required back into the "Yeast" section. Or calculate there - it isn't that involved of a calculation - but only if someone checks the starter box. As I said, it's a nice to have.

Yes, I agree. Let's see what we can do!

When I suggested this in a different thread, I got the following response.
Please don't add this. It's simple math, it's trivial and it's just another thing to gum up the works.

When I suggested this in a different thread, I got the following response.
I seem to remember it was something different but if true, I apologize. And it wasn't a reflection on your request, it was more watching a lot of things not working on the site.

I think we were talking about adding the resulting wort to the recipe builder in that one, weren't we? From what I can tell here the ask is to show the results of the yeast starter calculator in the recipe view, so that it's all on the same page, like the water calc, right?

If the recipe builder yeast section is going to be built out further, work in all the features.

In the recipe builder, under the yeast section, add the ability to add a Stater that shows, cell count, pitch rate, starter volume, and DME required like in this one. But if adding a volume of liquid and DME, for those of us who don't decant, have the yeast starter section in the recipe builder reflect on the stats of the beer. no need to add 4oz of DME to the fermentables section.

And hopefully it would also reflect on the brew session as to keep the efficiencies calculator working correctly. When pitching the entire starter the brew session doesn't know you're adding extra DME and doesn't know how that extra have gallon of volume got there.

I think we were talking about adding the resulting wort to the recipe builder in that one, weren't we? From what I can tell here the ask is to show the results of the yeast starter calculator in the recipe view, so that it's all on the same page, like the water calc, right?
That was it. In both cases. The thread Oliver referred to was a basic dilution calculator, calculating the result of combining two different beers (the beer and the starter, in his case). What I suggested is what you mentioned: Show the results of the yeast starter calculations in the recipe view, specifically the cell count, pitch rate, starter volume and amount of DME.

Back