Oil Slick when using extracts?

Shepington

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experiance an oil slick when using extracts, I added 4 Oz of vanilla 2 in the boil and 2 in the secondary and now after carbing each pint has a shiny oil slick on the top. Still tastes great BUT... I'd like it to do well in the compititon. As this is my first with using extracts I'm trying to identify if that is the source.

It's the vanilla. Vanilla flavor comes from essential oils. The bean has other oils in it as well. Extract is NOT the problem - it's nothing but concentrated wort, no oils to speak of in it.

It's the vanilla. Vanilla flavor comes from essential oils. The bean has other oils in it as well. Extract is NOT the problem - it's nothing but concentrated wort, no oils to speak of in it.
Guess i should have clearified it was an AG batch I was referencing the Vanilla extract, on that note if you make your own ie Vanilla beans and vodka can you avoid the slick?

I’ve done a couple brews using Vanilla Beans (Madagascar.... expensive!). I guy them up and put them in a mason jar packed down and add enough cheap vodka to cover the pieces for a few days, then dump in the whole lot. Never noticed any oily sheens.

I’ve done a couple brews using Vanilla Beans (Madagascar.... expensive!). I guy them up and put them in a mason jar packed down and add enough cheap vodka to cover the pieces for a few days, then dump in the whole lot. Never noticed any oily sheens.

I did this with 2 beans and added it to the keg at transfer the small was fantastic but yes so expensive 17 bucks for 2 beans. But for costs sake i went with the extracts for the other additions seems like it was a mistake.

I think so. My wife has been asking for a Vanilla Porter and I want to do a Dry Irish stout with Vanilla beans, but holding off for a price drop in the Madagascar brand.

Guess i should have clearified it was an AG batch I was referencing the Vanilla extract, on that note if you make your own ie Vanilla beans and vodka can you avoid the slick?
About the only other explanation is you had some oil somewhere on your equipment. Or you used a lot of oily grain like oats. Or chocolate, or cacao with fat. Or bacon. Or nuts without extracting the oils. Or peanut butter. Sometimes I notice what looks a bit like oil on some of my beers post-fermentation but it's just floating yeast. As to vanilla extract, all you're doing is saving yourself the "soak with vodka" phase - good quality extract is vanilla beans soaked in strong alcohol solution. Buy good quality extract and you're safe using it. It'll still have the vanilla oils - that's where the scent and flavor are - and six ounces is a heck of a lot of vanilla.

Back