Greetings home brewers

Herm brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My name is Mike, but my moniker here is Herm_brews (Herm is a nickname I picked up in junior high school, and it has stuck with me ever since). I live in sunny Southern California, and have access to a lhbs near my workplace. For the past 5 years, I have been making wine from 3 grapevines that I have in my backyard. Last December, my brother in law gave me a home brewing kit, which I made into a pretty good IPA in January, my first ever attempt at home brewing. After that, I decided to go the BIAB route, and made my second brew an American Pale Ale based on a recipe that I found online. The equipment that I have limits me to small batch brewing (generally 1 gallon), bottling my brews in 12 ounce bottles. So, here I am, trying to craft my own recipes for APA’s and IPA’s.
Cheers!

Welcome to your new Hobby/Obsession!

Thanks. I’m trying to set up my next brew day for Monday.

Onya Herm I had a go at growing grapes but eventually they died. Must be satisfying making wine off your own grapes. My only 2c for starting recipie is keep them simple - simple grist often makes better beer. Cheers

Welcome to Brewers Friend!

Thanks greeters. This obsessive hobby is fun, and I know that I have much to learn. On Monday, I’ll be brewing an APA recipe that I created myself, based around the hops that I have on hand from my previous brew session - Cascade and Chinook. Today I got my malt and yeast from lhbs, but had to audible in the shop when they did not have caramel/crystal 20. Using the Brewers Friend site through my phone, I was able to update my recipe in the shop, based on their availability of crystal 15 and crystal 30. Given that it is such a small part of my grain bill, I opted for the 30. Since I am using BIAB technique, I decided to double mill my malts, hoping this will allow for a higher efficiency conversion. Looking forward to Monday

Thanks greeters. This obsessive hobby is fun, and I know that I have much to learn. On Monday, I’ll be brewing an APA recipe that I created myself, based around the hops that I have on hand from my previous brew session - Cascade and Chinook. Today I got my malt and yeast from lhbs, but had to audible in the shop when they did not have caramel/crystal 20. Using the Brewers Friend site through my phone, I was able to update my recipe in the shop, based on their availability of crystal 15 and crystal 30. Given that it is such a small part of my grain bill, I opted for the 30. Since I am using BIAB technique, I decided to double mill my malts, hoping this will allow for a higher efficiency conversion. Looking forward to Monday
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Maybe there is room for a hop plant to compliment the grapes. Welcome to the fermenter.

Back