What are your local beer trends?

Some of the cans I have opened have contained some pretty horrendous beer...(even though the same beer in bottles is consistent, be it good or less-so)
...ever had a Coca-Cola (Coke) from a bottle compared to a Coke in a can? Big Difference. I prefer not drinking anything from a can.

I won't buy imported beers that aren't in cans. Done right, it's a far superior package to glass. Oooh, I can remember skunky Heineken.... And it's more airtight, doesn't shatter (although you can puncture it), the aluminum is easier to recycle than glass....

I won't buy imported beers that aren't in cans. Done right, it's a far superior package to glass. Oooh, I can remember skunky Heineken.... And it's more airtight, doesn't shatter (although you can puncture it), the aluminum is easier to recycle than glass....

I think the coke freaks and yuppies thought that skunky taste was cool...

Last edited:
many breweries are packaging in cans, not just traditional brews but also an ever increasing portion of the craft beer market.

Yeah I've noticed this too and read somewhere that this trend has an appeal to millennials who want to take a 6 on an outing but carrying back a bunch of empty bottles is a buzz kill for the kids. Consume, crush and carry out fits their lifestyle! ( Does that make it the new juice box??:rolleyes::rolleyes:) The same article cited light exposure as well.

I don't think it was by design but as things with the world's state of recycling are slowing down where glass is finding its way to the landfill instead of back to the bottling line while aluminum cans and other metals find their way to the retail recyclers scales. Maybe this trend has an unintended benefit! Meanwhile, we need more home brewers to keep repurposing those brown bottles!

Don't see any yuppies here doing that here. You crush your can...you lose your 0.25€ deposit. :p
Weve only just started a drink container deposit scheam here in QLD 10c on cans and plastic bottles. Tooks us a while to catch on here... but SA where Mark D pirate is from theyve been the for runners for decades it seams the rest of Aus just couldnt see the benefits it seems?

Here in Ontario Canada The Brewers Retail has had a program of reusing bottles for a LONG time. The Brewers Retail is a consortium owned by 3 Multinational "Big Beer" companies. I remember in the late 60's my Dad taking his empties back to the store, there was a .05 deposit. The deposit is now .10. The Brewers Retail takes back 100% of their packaging. In 2007 Ontario instituted a deposit/return program to include ALL alcoholic beverage containers over 100ml. Cans, bottles, wine bladders, everything. The Brewers Retail (now called The Beer Store) facilitates all returns no matter where they were purchased as long as they were purchased in Ontario. The recycle/reuse system is actually world renowned!

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/about-us/environmental-leadership/better-returns

Here in Ontario Canada The Brewers Retail has had a program of reusing bottles for a LONG time. The Brewers Retail is a consortium owned by 3 Multinational "Big Beer" companies. I remember in the late 60's my Dad taking his empties back to the store, there was a .05 deposit. The deposit is now .10. The Brewers Retail takes back 100% of their packaging. In 2007 Ontario instituted a deposit/return program to include ALL alcoholic beverage containers over 100ml. Cans, bottles, wine bladders, everything. The Brewers Retail (now called The Beer Store) facilitates all returns no matter where they were purchased as long as they were purchased in Ontario. The recycle/reuse system is actually world renowned!

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/about-us/environmental-leadership/better-returns
That looks pretty sweet!

OK..heard of this practice....and these are twist off's or your conventional crown?
The only bottles that are reused are beer, and predominantly, if not exclusively the twist offs. The big three all use and reuse the same size/shape bottles. Not sure if the link will work below, but these are the old "stubbies" our beer use to come in. Molsons, Labatts, Carling, and a couple others all packaged their beer in these. They would get reused so much that some would appear almost etched from the number of trips through the line

https://www.google.ca/search?source...i131j0i131j5.YSJnaRG8128#imgrc=Pod1isJ6stU6oM:

Weve only just started a drink container deposit scheam here in QLD 10c on cans and plastic bottles. Tooks us a while to catch on here... but SA where Mark D pirate is from theyve been the for runners for decades it seams the rest of Aus just couldnt see the benefits it seems?

There's been attempts for ages, but the politics of implementing it has been really difficult. Lots of money, abuse and very dirty tactics involved in all the states that have talked about implementing it. Not sure how the stars aligned recently as it's now just us southerners holding out.

Though I do like that wine bottles aren't containers in NSW. Seems the pollies there got convinced by the wine lobbyists that there's no way a wine drinker would ever litter.

oh jeez...Stubby brown bottles What I cut my beer loving teeth on! A couple of my high school buddies had their college apartment kitchen cabinet tops lined with Genny cream empties, 4 deep, 2 high..it's a wonder the cabinets didn't tear off the wall with all that weight! Not quite recycling but they were delayed from getting in the waste steam!

upload_2019-4-6_21-32-3.jpeg

I need to get more stubbies. I love those.

Growing up in NY, Genesee is one of the very first beer brands I can remembering actually being aware of...
By the time I was old enough to drink, it was almost hard to find, though I do remember having a can or two of cream ale at some point.
Looks like the brewery is doing okay now (again?) now.

My local brewery Boatrocker is doing a lot of sours and wild fermentations using a coolship, also barrel aged stouts.
One that i particularly liked recently was a sour NEIPA or SNEIPA.

My local brewery Boatrocker is doing a lot of sours and wild fermentations using a coolship, also barrel aged stouts.
One that i particularly liked recently was a sour NEIPA or SNEIPA.

That Jeepers Creepers is the most fun beer I've had in months. Caught the brewer at a function recently. He called it a massively dry hopped kettle sour with a bunch of oats. And that IPA has to be added to most things for 'marketing'.

And it's this blurring of styles that makes the styles documentation game such a nightmare.

That Jeepers Creepers is the most fun beer I've had in months. Caught the brewer at a function recently. He called it a massively dry hopped kettle sour with a bunch of oats. And that IPA has to be added to most things for 'marketing'.

And it's this blurring of styles that makes the styles documentation game such a nightmare.
Yeah, it's a great beer, and Matt Houghton is a real good bloke and only too happy to discuss brewing techniques and give advice.

Up here in SW Washington and Portland Area, I seem to be noticing the "Brut" IPA trend is gaining popularity. Not to mention the ever popular Hazy NE IPA's that every brewery seems to be making... (not the biggest fan, to be honest)

Up here in SW Washington and Portland Area, I seem to be noticing the "Brut" IPA trend is gaining popularity. Not to mention the ever popular Hazy NE IPA's that every brewery seems to be making... (not the biggest fan, to be honest)
I'm not a fan of either, either, but then I have pretty sensitive taste buds. If there's not a big malty backbone to an IPA, I don't want it and this effort to make a "Lite" IPA (Brut IPA) just doesn't work for me. Some of the NE IPAs are okay, most just taste like hop juice to me.

Back