Fermentation ??

jkroberge@gmail.com

Premium Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Dunkelweizen with a OG 1.050 . The recipe said to ferment 10 days at 64 degrees... FG between 1.014 - 1.018. I'm at day 8 and it's at 1.030. Did I lose this yeast in this batch??

Let it keep on going. Maybe check it again in 3 or 4 days and see where you are.

It is probably best to take the fermentation directions for a recipe as a rough guide rather than a hard and fast rule. I agree with Thunderwagon that you should let it go for a few more days, but generally when asking a question such as this it is usually helpful to include some information about the yeast you used and your recipe.

Also, you can't rush the yeast and the process. My Mom always said " a watched pot never boils". Give it more time, and be patient.

also basics here but it was a mistake I made when I first started don't bottle until you hit your final gravity or you'll have more head than beer and check how many cells you're beer needs to fully ferment before you brew but in this case just wait I had an ipa that the yeast started 4 days in and fully fermented so yeah just wait

If you're checking gravity with a refractometer you need to use a calculator to get the actual gravity once fermentation has started. Alcohol has a different refractive index, so its presence needs to be compensated for.

Back