Dunkelweizen feedback request

Stylistically it won't be a Dunkelweizen, not saying it won't be a good beer! I'm not understanding the C120 in it - raisiny, dark fruit, burnt sugars? The Caramunich is going to make the beer sweet enough. You're way balanced toward wheat - German Weizens are generally in the 60%/40% range, wheat and pilsner, with enough dark malt to color them. Best way I can think of to prove/disprove the recipe is brew it and find out.

I'll take the C120 out. I'm curious with how to darken it, then? Midnight Wheat?

EDIT: My intention was to replace the normal Pilsner malt with Rye.

I'll take the C120 out. I'm curious with how to darken it, then? Midnight Wheat?

Carafa special all the way. A little bit goes a long way and isn't detectable in low amounts.

That seems like a lot of crystal malt for any beer. I would cut it down to 1 pound at absolute most. Just my impression.

A touch of Carafa works wonders for darkening and it has a very pleasant flavor if you cross its flavor threshold. There's also a dark extract called Sinamar that you can use to darken a beer without adding a lot of flavor.

Brewing Classic Styles book has it as 2 lbs German Pilsner, 7 lbs Wheat Malt, 3 lbs Munich 10L, 0.375 lbs of Special B, 0.375 lbs Crystal 40L, and 0.125 lbs of Dehusked Carafa 2 ... and a single bittering charge, 1oz of Hallertau at 60 min. WLP300 or Wyeast 3068

entering their amounts in Brewer's Friend at 70% gives a high starting gravity,

try maybe something like 3 lbs Dark Wheat, 3 lbs Pilsner, 3 lbs Rye, 0.375 Special B, 0.375 lbs Crystal 40L, 0.125 lbs of Carafa 3

Last edited:

Back