Been a long time gone

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
Been away for a few, but I am back.
Lots of real life crap going on, lost my Dad, and the funk that followed was hard.

But I am back.
Have a few questions one about growing Hops....about to pick up so local rizomes on Monday from Denver. Feel like it is to early to put them outside, I will grow them in containers, can I start them in the house?

Next.... anyone know what size hose bard would screw into a pin lock gas side keg post...want to out a has post in a stopper so I can push it into my SSBrew Brew Bucket for pressure transfer.

Thanks
Tim

Welcome back man and sorry to hear about your pops.
Aren't you in the Castle Rock area? I can't remember. Right now is prime time in CO to get rhizomes in the ground.

Welcome back man and sorry to hear about your pops.
Aren't you in the Castle Rock area? I can't remember. Right now is prime time in CO to get rhizomes in the ground.

Monument...
Driving to Altitude brewing in the morning got 2 Crystal and 2 Cascade roots waiting

I still need to get some large pots, but I will get them in some sort of something this week, are they good outside in the cold? still getting snow, or did yesterday anyway

Tim

Sorry to hear about you dad Tim. Welcome back.

Is that internal post thread 5/16th :rolleyes: That's what ya need to know then is get a hose barb with that male thread then bung that on your hose?

Sorry to hear about your Father.

Monument...
Driving to Altitude brewing in the morning got 2 Crystal and 2 Cascade roots waiting

I still need to get some large pots, but I will get them in some sort of something this week, are they good outside in the cold? still getting snow, or did yesterday anyway

Tim

I've grown mine outside for years. We're still getting snow and freezing temps in Loveland also, but my hops don't mind. I need to get out and start cutting them back already. Cover your rhizomes with a bit of soil and keep them moist (don't drown) and they should be fine. Fertilize them. Something like Scotts regular lawn fertilizer does great.

Been away for a few, but I am back.
Lots of real life crap going on, lost my Dad, and the funk that followed was hard.

But I am back.
Have a few questions one about growing Hops....about to pick up so local rizomes on Monday from Denver. Feel like it is to early to put them outside, I will grow them in containers, can I start them in the house?

Next.... anyone know what size hose bard would screw into a pin lock gas side keg post...want to out a has post in a stopper so I can push it into my SSBrew Brew Bucket for pressure transfer.

Thanks
Tim
Sorry for the loss and welcome back.

As for the rhizomes, get 'em and put them out. The cold won't hurt them at all and they'll have a chance to root before they're asked to grow. I don't know about hops in containers though, will pass that on to someone else.

Losing the old man can be tough, it kind of shuts done life for a while, but I'm glad your back.

Rhizomes can be started in larger pots and I know some people who grow them in large plant pots. The rhizomes will get crowded if left in the pot and will need transplanting eventually. I would think that if the soil were thawed you could plant them now, it will take up to 2 weeks before they emerge and by then the chances of frost damaging them will be diminished. If your worried about planting them early, just cover with straw.

Up north here in the frozen wonderland, I cut the bines off in the fall when they go brown and pile leaves over the hop plant to protect them from frost damage. I have a Chinook that seems to be indestructible... I hate that hop.

mine will be full time containered, I have a few ideas on how to make a spiral trellis in each pot.
Going to only let 2bines per plant climb.

The pots are going to be bordering on the very large size, and I will use the 8ft green tomato stakes to form a roundish structure, the use string to create a spiral around them, one for each bine. This should give them plenty of growing "height" and help keep the center of the plant open for airflow.

http://immaculatebrewery.com/growing-hops-at-home/

this is kinda where I am going with it, but larger pots

T

I'm sorry to hear about that man, glad you're back. I'm curious to see how your plan works out, I'm not planning on trying to do hops any time soon.

Repeating the sentiments, but very sorry for your loss.

Welcome back!

Ok, Hops are in pots...well the smaller pots anyway. I am out of town for a few days and wanted to get them in dirt before I left.

Picked up some Flagship Ale yeast, and will brew an Amber when I get back.

Will get the final large planters when I get back as well

Last brew season was not my best, need a comeback this year!!!

Back