Norwegian Kveik Yeast Strains Ferment @80-100F

How about using it in imperial stouts? Thinking it may be a good thing for those.

And for those of us in Aus - https://www.yeastbeast.com.au/

edit: I was listening to someone talking about the Norwegian farmhouse brewers and sounds like they have a macho, oh it's only 8% drinking culture.
Their government has massive taxes on alcohol (could you believe more than Aus). so I think from what I've watched on craft brew channel most commercial brews are low % alcohol. tax goes up if over certain %ABV. They got a big HB over there.

Just ordered me some Loki thanks Mark for the LINK. Looking forward to using this yeast and seeing what all this hype is about:).

Last edited:
Their government has massive taxes on alcohol (could you believe more than Aus). so I think from what I've watched on craft brew channel most commercial brews are low % alcohol. tax goes up if over certain %ABV. They got a big HB over there.

Just ordered me some Loki thanks Mark for the LINK. Looking forward to using this yeast and seeing what all this hype is about:).
Let us know how it turned out. It's pretty cold way up here, so when it gets warmer I would like to try it as well.

Let us know how it turned out. It's pretty cold way up here, so when it gets warmer I would like to try it as well.
Well maybe i didnt think this through its comming into winter here but thats 10c overnight min and 23-26c daytime max so no biggie. Will do.

I can vouch for the Morebeer Fermwrap. Been using mine for over a year now with my Brewbucket fermenter and an Ink-bird temp controller. Works great.

Be wary of cheap knockoffs of the Fermwrap. They sell cheap, but are cheap. To be sure you get the right one, get it from Morebeer.

Well maybe i didnt think this through its comming into winter here but thats 10c overnight min and 23-26c daytime max so no biggie. Will do.

Winter, hah. You don't even get winter in the Sunshine Coast.

I can vouch for the Morebeer Fermwrap. Been using mine for over a year now with my Brewbucket fermenter and an Ink-bird temp controller. Works great.

Be wary of cheap knockoffs of the Fermwrap. They sell cheap, but are cheap. To be sure you get the right one, get it from Morebeer.
You get what you pay for. I once bought the cheapest temp controller I could find. Ended up buying another $15 more expensive one a month later.

I'm planning a double batch of a pale ale at the start of summer. Half will have a controlled fermentation with US-05 and the other half Voss Kveik at ambient temperature in the brew house that will reach no more than 80F. My own experiment.

I'm planning a double batch of a pale ale at the start of summer. Half will have a controlled fermentation with US-05 and the other half Voss Kveik at ambient temperature in the brew house that will reach no more than 80F. My own experiment.
Great idea, you should make a new thread when you do that.

It arrived! But warm to the touch...:oops: bloody hot weather. Well I'll throw them in a starter and see if we have life and if so I'm water to get them underway.
20190409_173808.jpg

Well if any yeast can handle the heat.... that one will. :)
Yeah that's what I recon as well.

So doing a bit of looking around about this yeast and found this Loki is a pure singular voss kviek strain but that most traditional norwegian farmhouse strains may have up to 10 different yeast and bacteria strains.
This YouTube guy explained it well.

Very exciting! What are you going to brew with it?
I'm thinking something pretty straight forward my stock standard 3kg base .5kg Vienna .5kg wheat then bitter with magnum FWH 10G then Finnish with some homegrown Cascade and maybe this left over Ella hops. I'll try and ferment around 30c and see what I get:).

But knowing me this may change:p

Yeah that's what I recon as well.

So doing a bit of looking around about this yeast and found this Loki is a pure singular voss kviek strain but that most traditional norwegian farmhouse strains may have up to 10 different yeast and bacteria strains.
This YouTube guy explained it well.
the original strains they found are a crazy mix and thus called Farmhouse strains, the American labs have isolated the ones they like. Voss being one of the most popular for its citrus esters.

I'm thinking something pretty straight forward my stock standard 3kg base .5kg Vienna .5kg wheat then bitter with magnum FWH 10G then Finnish with some homegrown Cascade and maybe this left over Ella hops. I'll try and ferment around 30c and see what I get:).

But knowing me this may change:p
Sounds good, I reckon you're on the right track keeping it simple so you can see what the yeast produces.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked (will go back and look) but what styles are these strains best suited for? I'm a bit confused because some seem to be making it out to be the wonder yeast that can be used for anything. I'm basically assuming anything you want big fruity esters in?

EDIT- I would delete my comment but can't. I went back and looked at that presentation pdf which gave recommended styles.

@Trialben Woooooot !
A nice simple golden or apa is a good start to get to know this yeast , currently have a new world pils on tap that's come out pretty well.

Going forward in generations I just add yeast slurry to the boil for extra nutrients.

@goschman , it's not suited to every single style of course but do far I've had good outcomes in following styles.
APA
WC ipa
Golden ale
DIPA
American stout
Imperial coffee stout
Tropical fruit cider
New world pils

Any style where citrus esters would work and a well attenuated finish is appropriate

@Trialben Woooooot !
A nice simple golden or apa is a good start to get to know this yeast , currently have a new world pils on tap that's come out pretty well.

Going forward in generations I just add yeast slurry to the boil for extra nutrients.

@goschman , it's not suited to every single style of course but do far I've had good outcomes in following styles.
APA
WC ipa
Golden ale
DIPA
American stout
Imperial coffee stout
Tropical fruit cider
New world pils

Any style where citrus esters would work and a well attenuated finish is appropriate
In an APA for example do you find that you have to cut down on the aroma hops or is the citrus character of the yeast not that overpowering?

Back