My Home Town

ChicoBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I went for a hike with the dogs in the Bidwell Park today. This part of Northern California is gorgeous. The park is a big part of the town. The divide between the sierra and cascades. The park is ten minutes from my house.

Pictures

Post your home town pictures here. Countries other than mine welcome please.

I went for a hike with the dogs in the Bidwell Park today. This part of Northern California is gorgeous. The park is a big part of the town. The divide between the sierra and cascades. The park is ten minutes from my house.
Looks very nice....and surprisingly flat! I was expecting mountains and such in the background. :p
My hometown for the past decade or so is Leipzig, Germany.
These pics aren't mine, but are pretty nice: https://www.facebook.com/pg/LeipzigFotos/photos/?ref=page_internal

Looks very nice....and surprisingly flat! I was expecting mountains and such in the background. :p
My hometown for the past decade or so is Leipzig, Germany.
These pics aren't mine, but are pretty nice: https://www.facebook.com/pg/LeipzigFotos/photos/?ref=page_internal
There are mountains. Chico sits right on the edge of the Sierra Cascade to the east. The pictures are mostly facing west across the Sacramento Valley. The creek that runs through the park (east to west) is the unofficial border of the Sierra Nevada (to the south) and the Cascades (to the north). There is a big volcano (Mt. Lassen) just to the east around 50 miles away as the crow flies.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures of Leipzig. Going to Germany is definitely on my bucket list. My daughter is looking to study in Turin next year. Maybe I can proceed north when I go for a visit. The rainbow photo is fantastic.

My home town is a tiny little burgh in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. After a lot of travel, seeing a lot of this pale blue dot, I've settled in Aurora, Colorado (suburb of Denver). Family and I spent the weekend in the Rocky Mountains, skiing Cooper, near Leadville, on Saturday and Copper Mountain on Sunday. It was six-year-old's first day on the "Big Mountain". She shredded it.

I remember teaching kids to ski. They're all grown now and skiing on their own. Don't need poppa holding them back lol. All he does is cruise

There are mountains. Chico sits right on the edge of the Sierra Cascade to the east. The pictures are mostly facing west across the Sacramento Valley. The creek that runs through the park (east to west) is the unofficial border of the Sierra Nevada (to the south) and the Cascades (to the north). There is a big volcano (Mt. Lassen) just to the east around 50 miles away as the crow flies.
Sounds like a land for adventure.
My home town is Nanango SE QLD it's aboriginal for "round water hole" they got the hole part right lol. It's a tiny little town about 200km inland from Sunny Coast. One of those towns where I swear you could go back there in 100 years and everything is exactly the same.

https://images.app.goo.gl/vL7oZy2qKiaNMd5J6
Main street pretty much only street. Lol

https://images.app.goo.gl/BTmC7UxZTtdvzTmv8
The Fitzroy Hotel got kicked out of this pub too many time even today publican doesn't like me to grace it's floors.

https://images.app.goo.gl/aQA9ZKB1a3ubdgPm8
The Comercial Hotel (probably one of thousands around Aus.

I know those kinds of towns. Red Bluff California population 14,000 since 1965

I remember teaching kids to ski. They're all grown now and skiing on their own. Don't need poppa holding them back lol. All he does is cruise
After a few runs, Granddaughter (age 6), in an excess of confidence, told me "I'm skiing better than you." I had to tell her, maybe one day you will, but not today. Bearing in mind of course, this was her first day off beginner lifts. In a few years, the three words I'll dread most on the mountain will be "Follow me, Granddad!"

Back on thread: My "hometown" is dying. Both of them, actually. I spent a few early years in Hammond, Indiana, which started to die once the steel mills on Lake Michigan started closing. Then the Kentucky hometown was fed by soft coal mining, which also has died. It's sad, really, to see. I was lucky enough to get out, many aren't.

My hometown is San Francisco. We lived about 1/2 mile from the beach and 1 block from Golden Gate Park. It was a great place to grow up back in the 50s and early 60s. but has turned into a $hithole since. We now live in a great little city about an hour east of Reno.
upload_2019-4-9_8-17-9.jpeg

Fallon is a high desert community at just under 4,000 ft. elevation. The population was 8,470 in 2016. It's primarily an agricultural center, but also relies on Fallon NAS, home of the Navy's Top Gun Training Center and a few manufacturing businesses to drive its economy.

Outdoor life is big here too. We're at the tail end of the Carson River. Wetlands and shallow lakes are abundant, as well as a popular dune at Sand Point, just east of town.
upload_2019-4-9_8-32-57.jpeg

We have 4 well defined seasons and are less than 2 hours from several popular Sierra Nevada ski resorts. We've been here for almost 17 years and couldn't envision living anywhere else. It doesn't get much more laid back than Fallon.

My hometown is San Francisco. We lived about 1/2 mile from the beach and 1 block from Golden Gate Park. It was a great place to grow up back in the 50s and early 60s. but has turned into a $hithole since. We now live in a great little city about an hour east of Reno.
View attachment 5665
Fallon is a high desert community at just under 4,000 ft. elevation. The population was 8,470 in 2016. It's primarily an agricultural center, but also relies on Fallon NAS, home of the Navy's Top Gun Training Center and a few manufacturing businesses to drive its economy.

Outdoor life is big here too. We're at the tail end of the Carson River. Wetlands and shallow lakes are abundant, as well as a popular dune at Sand Point, just east of town.
View attachment 5666

We have 4 well defined seasons and are less than 2 hours from several popular Sierra Nevada ski resorts. We've been here for almost 17 years and couldn't envision living anywhere else. It doesn't get much more laid back than Fallon.

I had to drive down to Gardnerville to find a CVS on a recent trip to South shore Lake Tahoe. Don't think that's far from you. I'm pretty familiar with the western Nevada area having done most of my growing up in yuba and Butte counties making Tahoe Quincy Portola Reno eagle lake my stomping grounds. I know most of those are in California but they mostly have the same vibe.

From Minden/Gardnerville, head North on US395, now I-580, to Carson City and hang a right on US50. About an hour later, you're in beautiful downtown Fallon :)
I'm very familiar with all the places you mentioned. My folks lived just outside of Marysville after dad retired. We fished almost every stream, river, quarry and lake in the area. Also I made a lot of runs in the high and low Sierras before I totaled my Harley. Nice country, but I wouldn't want to be subject to their taxes :)

Great thread Chico!
Cool to see where people are from!

I'm from Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, England.

The population is around 11,000 with a very small gene pool, mostly due to inbreeding for centuries. 99.9% are original English with almost zero immigation, most people with an IQ greater than 50 have left.

This guide is worth a read and is spot on, although on the rose tinted side.
https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/isle-of-sheppey-guide.html

Some notable quotes...
festering cat turd in the Garden of England.
isolated hellhole
free bus service picks up vermin from outlying holding pens
Sheerness Golden Triangle, the Market, the Police Station and the Job Centre, an area where Sheerness chavs spend 90% of their time
highest population of freaks

Living in the extremly small village of Vinnerstad located just outside the small city of Motala, Sweden. Moved here some years ago, been moving around quite some times since I left my birth and home town (Gävle) many years ago. Motala is, in Sweden, most known for being a passage of the Göta canal, a popular canal running across Sweden from east to west. Gävle on the other hand is mostly known for the infamous "Gävle goat".

Muhlenberg Co, KY's only claim to fame is an environmental protest song by John Prine called "Paradise." Oh, and the hometown of the Everly Brothers. Aside from that, ACBEV's description probably holds, down to the limited gene pool and primarily English-derived population. There is apparently some good hunting on the former strip mine land and some decent fishing in the pits they've left behind. Other than that, the best view of the area is in the rear-view mirror. When I grew up, the town was dry - no legal alcohol sales, with emphasis on legal, meaning people had to drive 50 miles, get drunk, then drive home. Not the smartest of solutions to alcohol abuse. But hey, if you like rolling, green hills, lots of water, and proofs of the Dunning-Krueger effect every time you drink a cup of coffee with someone, it's the place to be! Bonus: low cost of living.

I'll stay here in Colorado, thanks.

Back