Norwegian Kveik Yeast Strains Ferment @80-100F

HighVoltageMan!

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if many people have heard about this new (old actually) yeast from Norway. It's a farm house yeast that loves heat. A pro brewer friend of mine called me and said he used Hornindal Kveik yeast for the first time, he said it was everything it was said to be. He pitched at 90F and it rose to 100F, the brewery was filled with the aroma of pineapple, the beer was fermented without any fusels, phenolics and was done in 2 days.

From what I understand, there is no need for a starter. Chill the beer all the way down to 90 (so tough) pitch the pack, aerate and it's done in 2 days, dry hopped and kegged in 1 week.

Here's a couple of articles on it:

https://omegayeast.com/norwegian-kveik-strains-the-history-unique-aspects-and-our-strains

https://growlermag.com/rise-of-the-super-yeast-kveik/

Last edited:
it's in the database says 70F to 95F with 79% attenuation, it's worth a try I'd say

I have read more about this yeast, supposedly it can be dried at home on a cloth, placed in a ziplock bag and it said to last for years in the freezer after drying. It's different, not sure if it's hype or true.

Yep I stumbled on this yeast while back but havnt got around to brewing with It yet I know 2 other brewer here Hawkins and Mark D pirate have both spoken about using it too. Very cool stuff well very warm stuff.

So far I've only done a Raspberry Wheat with Voss Kviek. It was right next to a blonde I did with WLP 007, so actually fermented it at 68 degrees. I've read others get a sulfur off flavor with that low of temps, but We really enjoyed it, noticed no sulfur after the primary. Now, we gave it plenty of time to clean itself up, as we were in no hurry. Beer ended up quite dry with a tart raspberry finish. Loved it- Totally clean yeast at that low of temps.

Plan on using slurry saved from that beer to make a blue moon clone. Going to try and achieve higher temps to get some of the orange flavors they supposedly impart.

Thanks for posting the video, I’ll watch later after work. Which yeast did you use for the pilsner and what temp?
I used HotHead for the pilsner fermented at 93ºF with a fermwrap on the carboy.

HotHead is by far the cleanest yeast I've ever tasted. And I've found from other homebrewers that it seems to adapt to whatever ingredients you're using. It works awesome in just about any type of beer you're making, except for saisons or Belgian ale kind of things.

Voss was described like a replacement for any Chico strains (US-05, WLP001, Wy1056, etc), but it's got way more appealing orange citrus esters. It is fairly clean, works well with fruity hops.

Hornindal kicks out tons of tropical and fruit esters. Good for NEIPAs, Omega said they've done some crazy stuff with Hornindal.

Yep I stumbled on this yeast while back but havnt got around to brewing with It yet I know 2 other brewer here Hawkins and Mark D pirate have both spoken about using it too. Very cool stuff well very warm stuff.
Where did you buy it?

I used HotHead for the pilsner fermented at 93ºF with a fermwrap on the carboy.

HotHead is by far the cleanest yeast I've ever tasted. And I've found from other homebrewers that it seems to adapt to whatever ingredients you're using. It works awesome in just about any type of beer you're making, except for saisons or Belgian ale kind of things.

Voss was described like a replacement for any Chico strains (US-05, WLP001, Wy1056, etc), but it's got way more appealing orange citrus esters. It is fairly clean, works well with fruity hops.

Hornindal kicks out tons of tropical and fruit esters. Good for NEIPAs, Omega said they've done some crazy stuff with Hornindal.
How is the krausen? Do I need a blow off tube?

Voss is da boss!!!!
I've been trying to break it.... Not managed yet.
I pitch @0.35 at 39°C with 45 seconds of pure O² .
Usually within 2 hours I'm swapping out airlock for a blow off tube even as temp is dropping to 35 °C for 3 days .

Somehow it magically seems to increase bitterness so I adjust recipe to suit .
Ester wise I get orange peel , mandarin and a hint of dank pine.

Never found any phenols or fusels and it really does everything it says on the jar

Voss is da boss!!!!
Usually within 2 hours I'm swapping out airlock for a blow off tube even as temp is dropping to 35 °C for 3 days .

Never found any phenols or fusels and it really does everything it says on the jar

so OYL-091 is what you tried?, any others

Voss is da boss!!!!

you might be getting bitterness because Voss attenuates at 80% on average, can leave your beer more bitter at 1.010 vs real English strains only attenuating at 60-70% leaving them at like 1.015-1.020

Voss is da boss!!!!

This yeast is great for people who live in hotter climates.

The other thing that is intriguing about this yeast is it’s ability to be dried by homebrewers, placed in a plastic bag and frozen. It said to last 20 years when dried and frozen.

The pitch rates are also reduced to around .25 million cells per ml per degree plato. Which means most homebrewers can pitch direct into 5 gallon/20 liter batches, no starter. This yeast also prefers higher gravities, if you use it below 1.050, it’s advice to double your nutrient dose.

This yeast is a brewer’s/drunkard’s dream.

How about using it in imperial stouts? Thinking it may be a good thing for those.

And for those of us in Aus - https://www.yeastbeast.com.au/

edit: I was listening to someone talking about the Norwegian farmhouse brewers and sounds like they have a macho, oh it's only 8% drinking culture.

Last edited:
The other thing that is intriguing about this yeast is it’s ability to be dried by homebrewers, placed in a plastic bag and frozen. It said to last 20 years when dried and frozen.
The way it's traditionally done in Norway is they inoculate these logs or stokers with their yeast, and then use those to inoculate their beer. And then they hang these rings of yeast stuff on the ceilings of their farmhouse to dry out. Weird stuff.

How about using it in imperial stouts? Thinking it may be a good thing for those.

Check out Omega's powerpoint presentation found here: https://brewstock.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Omega-Yeast-presentation.pdf ... They have 3 recipes posted at the end, one being an imperial stout.

Here's the information they gave out.

Imperial Stout

Vitals Ingredients

OG: 1.114FG: 1.040ABV: 9.7%IBU: 50

● Light DME - 38.9%
● 2 row - 22.2%
● Munich Malt - 11.1%
● Crystal 60L - 5.6%
● Special B - 5.6%
● Roasted Barley - 5.6%
● Black Malt - 5.6%
● Hopped with Warrior and EKG

Process Fermentation
  • Mash at 150°F for 60min

• Boil for 150 min with hop additions at 60, 15, 10 and flameout

• Knockout at 90°F and oxygenate generously
● Pitch 2x standard pitch rate of OYL-091 (~14mil cells/mL)
● Ferment at 90°F+
● Reached terminal gravity on Day4.

Back