Additions after peak krausen?

beer1965

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..

I'm adding 1lb of raw honey to a 5g ale. I'm not getting the honey until tonight and it seems that last night was my fermentation peak / krausen. The air lock went from bubbling in rapid fire to much slower and the snow storm in the carboy has now settled but there's movement. Is it too late to add the honey? I have to think there's enough yeast in there that when it sees the honey it'll start to pick up the activity again. Thoughts? Temp is at about 70 degrees.

And do you just drop it in? I'll warm up the honey a small amount (I'm not going to pasteurize) with a small amount of water to help it flow into the funnel more easily. But I suspect it will just settle on the bottom. I don't think I should give the carboy a bit of a swirl to mix everything settled at the bottom. Agreed?

Thank you for any help!

Warm it up quite a bit to make it more liquid - a hot water bath works for this. If you leave the lid on, heat the water bath to 150 degrees (slowly so as not to melt or break the vessel), leave the honey in there for a half-hour to make sure it's good and warm, you will have liquified it to make it easier to pour and mostly pasteurized it. Since we are not talking about a huge amount of heat compared to the temperature of the beer, dump it in. Alternately, you can combine the honey with some hot water to liquify it, and dump it in.

Warm it up quite a bit to make it more liquid - a hot water bath works for this. If you leave the lid on, heat the water bath to 150 degrees (slowly so as not to melt or break the vessel), leave the honey in there for a half-hour to make sure it's good and warm, you will have liquified it to make it easier to pour and mostly pasteurized it. Since we are not talking about a huge amount of heat compared to the temperature of the beer, dump it in. Alternately, you can combine the honey with some hot water to liquify it, and dump it in.
Ok.. thanks for this!

The only time I used honey I added it late in the boil. There are differing opinions on this. My thought was that adding the honey during fermentation presented unnecessary risk of infection. I am sure that you will be fine. I am sure that the yeast will get busy on the honey, and take care of it.

Have added it tonight warmed just enough to liquefy but not pasteurized.. .. so about two days from peak fermentation.. but half an hour in and my airlock is already starting to show some action and surprisingly the foam is already starting to build up.. .. so let's see..

Back