Complete newbie, St Peters ruby ale kit

Rivendell_Rebel

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Complete newbie from UK here

So me and the OH were brought th st peter's brew kit for Xmas

We have never brewed beer before.

We brought a fermentation bucket and all the stuff and after a long session of sterilising everything. Set it off.

It is currently bubbling away at about 20-22°. The box say to fermented for 4-6 days but my research say it needs much longer than that

Any advice ???

Thanks

It can be done in that time, but it won't hurt and it will more than likely help if you give it 12-14 days until you try to bottle. I'm a big fan of the two week rhythm method that one of the posters here proposes for people starting out. I'm still using it more less, years later.

Congrats on the start, sounds like you'll have made beer.

It can be done in that time, but it won't hurt and it will more than likely help if you give it 12-14 days until you try to bottle. I'm a big fan of the two week rhythm method that one of the posters here proposes for people starting out. I'm still using it more less, years later.

Congrats on the start, sounds like you'll have made beer.

Hi

Thanks for the reply,

We hoped to have it ready by the time we go away on the 19th April

The box said 6 days ferment then 16 in bottle . Feel like the manufacturer is cutting it a bit fine and underestimating times!

What advise could you give us on bottling?

My limited experience with bottle conditioning is that it takes around two weeks depending on temperature. My experience is around five bottled batches (I keg now). But I think if you are bottle conditioning the cycle is more like 4 weeks (fermenter 2 weeks bottle 2 weeks)

Yep, depending on your style, you may have something acceptable at 7 days, but it will be better carbonated at two weeks. Red ale is one that probably benefits from more time than lighter styles. If your beer hasn't been bubbling for a few days and you're at a week, you'd be better off trimming a day or two from the fermentation time than planning for a quick carbonation. Though you're close to the 2 week/ 2week timing that @ChicoBrewer mentions above.

The main one for the carbonation is to store it somewhere warm (20C) and the temperature doesn't change a lot. Does the kit give you the amount of sugar you need to add and a process for bottling as well?

Hi

Thanks for the advice @ChicoBrewer @Mark Farrall

No process for bottling but the kit says
1/2 teaspoon per bottle upto 85g for a barrel.

In our heads we were going to use a sterilised jug and funnel bottling but my reading says this is a bad idea.

I always allow minimum 2 weeks to ferment, usually more, especially when I dry hop. When I bottle, I allow a minimum of another 2 weeks. Patience is your friend, good things come to those who wait.

The internets has a bunch of bottling videos that'll be better than any description I give. I started out with something very much like this

Hopefully in Part 8 the tells you how to put Carbonation Drops or sugar into the bottles or stir into the bottling bucket first...

Yes it does... just watched it

I always allow minimum 2 weeks to ferment, usually more, especially when I dry hop. When I bottle, I allow a minimum of another 2 weeks. Patience is your friend, good things come to those who wait.

.... especially thirst!!!!

Back