Fermentation Graph is Graphing Bad Data Again

LDaniels

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a reoccurrence of a problem that I had several weeks ago and it appeared to have been fixed but I had not brewed for a few weeks and now that I did this past week, I am seeing a very similar problem again. It seems to be an issue with what to call the time of an entry sin e there is no way to specify the time of day when creating or editing a Brew Log Entry.

When I am adding Sample Entries to my brew log it is picking up the current time sometimes and other times it is setting the time to 12:00am. It seems like it may be more susceptible to use 12:00am if it is the second entry on a given day but I have not been able to completely verify this. On 3/20 below I got two entries with correct times.

The current day and time should be the default day and time if none is specified in the log entry creation. If a date is specified that is today, the current time should be used if the time is not also specified. If you are backfilling an entry from a previous day, a time entry should be required to go with the date to fully specify the time.

The first image shows the graph due to some entries having picked up 12:00am as the time.
upload_2019-3-21_22-8-56.png

The data entries behind the graph.

upload_2019-3-21_21-31-55.png

Brew Log Entries behind the graph. Brew Log Entries show a date and an Update date and time. It is not clear why both are required. I think one date and time would be sufficient that is what time that event happened, not when the event was either created or updated.

upload_2019-3-21_21-59-25.png

On the Brew Log Entry form, the Brew Log Entry Date should allow for Date & Time of the event as shown in red below.

upload_2019-3-21_22-6-2.png

I just saw this- has it resolved? Any issues that are still occurring? I'm sorry I missed this before- but I definitely want to ensure it doesn't happen again!

I just saw this- has it resolved? Any issues that are still occurring? I'm sorry I missed this before- but I definitely want to ensure it doesn't happen again!

No, it is still a problem. On this brew, I have had several entries that picked up the current time and other entries that while I have not been able to pinpoint the difference but the entry time is set to 12:00am instead of the current time. The flip backs shown in the graph are the result of an entry getting current time followed by the next log entry picking up 12:00am which puts it back in time so that it is earlier than the entry that was actually entered earlier

I think that the log entry needs to always pick up the current time if the time is not specified, but I really think that we need to be able to optionally specify the time for the date that is specified and that. date and time would be what is used as the log entry time. My last image above shows the date/time entry that I think is needed.

Thanks!

No, it is still a problem. On this brew, I have had several entries that picked up the current time and other entries that while I have not been able to pinpoint the difference but the entry time is set to 12:00am instead of the current time. The flip backs shown in the graph are the result of an entry getting current time followed by the next log entry picking up 12:00am which puts it back in time so that it is earlier than the entry that was actually entered earlier

I think that the log entry needs to always pick up the current time if the time is not specified, but I really think that we need to be able to optionally specify the time for the date that is specified and that. date and time would be what is used as the log entry time. My last image above shows the date/time entry that I think is needed.

Thanks!

Thank you so much- I put in a ticket and will keep you posted!

The graph displays the same on the beta site because the entries with the bad times are still there. There are three log entries that picked up 12:00am in the data. The problem has been that log entries seem to randomly pick up 12:00am instead of the current time which can be a time that is prior to a more recent datapoint already in the dataset. The Brew Session ID looks to be 273056

Besides the time being picked up as 12:00am sometimes, there seems to be some conflicts between the two times being maintained for a log entry. There is the date with no time that displays in the left column of the brew log tab of the brew session page. Then there is the "update time" column that does include time and updates every time an entry is modified.

I think that there really only needs to be one time associated with a log entry and it is either the date/time that the entry is created if no date/time is specified at the time the entry is created or it is the specified date/time from the new log entry. When the entry is saved, that time never changes unless the user edits the log entry and manually changes the date/time.

Graphing would then be based on this one date/time and if I forgot an entry that should have been entered last week, I can add an entry today with last week's date/time and it will now display on the brew log tab in its time ordered position and it will display on the graph in its time ordered position. The create/update time is not relevant once an entry has been created.

This does require the enhancement of accepting time a\long with date in the log entry date field, but it would solve the problem of getting the correct time associated with log entries and if the log entries have the correct time, the graph will display correctly.

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited:
The graph displays the same on the beta site because the entries with the bad times are still there. There are three log entries that picked up 12:00am in the data. The problem has been that log entries seem to randomly pick up 12:00am instead of the current time which can be a time that is prior to a more recent datapoint already in the dataset. The Brew Session ID looks to be 273056

Besides the time being picked up as 12:00am sometimes, there seems to be some conflicts between the two times being maintained for a log entry. There is the date with no time that displays in the left column of the brew log tab of the brew session page. Then there is the "update time" column that does include time and updates every time an entry is modified.

I think that there really only needs to be one time associated with a log entry and it is either the date/time that the entry is created if no date/time is specified at the time the entry is created or it is the specified date/time from the new log entry. When the entry is saved, that time never changes unless the user edits the log entry and manually changes the date/time.

Graphing would then be based on this one date/time and if I forgot an entry that should have been entered last week, I can add an entry today with last week's date/time and it will now display on the brew log tab in its time ordered position and it will display on the graph in its time ordered position. The create/update time is not relevant once an entry has been created.

This does require the enhancement of accepting time a\long with date in the log entry date field, but it would solve the problem of getting the correct time associated with log entries and if the log entries have the correct time, the graph will display correctly.

Thanks,
Lee

Thanks Lee, we will add the ability to change the time. Your chart should be fixed but when we add the time edit ability you will be able to change it.

Thanks Lee, we will add the ability to change the time. Your chart should be fixed but when we add the time edit ability you will be able to change it.

That is great. The addition of time entry will make the log much more user friendly.

The one other aspect of the graph that bothers me is the fact that the brew log points are distributed evenly along the x-axis regardless of time instead of the x-axis representing linear time. This flattens out the curve because more log entries are done early in the batch. Can we get the x-axis to be linear time and the points simply plotted along the x-axis based upon their specified time as opposed to being equidistant along x..

Back