Cyclone is "Da Bomb"

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
/* begin rant */

Hello, all, from the epicenter of the Bomb Cyclone, Bombogenesis, or whatever scary name Al Roker is using to describe our little spring snowstorm. Yeah, it's windy. Yeah, it's snowing. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be outside in this weather (although I've skied in similar weather when I was a few years younger). I'm ranting about sensationalism, be it this weather, the 737 Max, the 6:00 news in general. We are going to wind up with about half a foot of snow (15 cm for our metric-speaking friends). Winds were pretty gusty, meaning we have some drifting going on and visibility is low. We also had the Texans and Californians cleaning out the grocery stores, although our roads will be cleared by tomorrow and our temperatures will melt everything by the weekend. Fear is the mind killer, Frank Herbert wrote, and the more I age, the more I agree. Sensationalizing doesn't help the situation, it just helps people make stupid decisions.

I should be brewing (actually I'm working from home).

/* end rant */

Amazing how people react to Mother Nature :) Our youngest daughter has lived in Seattle for about 3 years now. She just can't believe how 2" of snow pretty much shuts down everything. Even the busses stop moving. She was driving up to Tahoe to go snowboarding when she was 16. We can tell a noob around here easily. They're the ones shoveling 4" of snow from around their car so they can chain up to drive to the grocery store.

Three good things about this way overblown storm:
No work!
Extra drinking time!
Perfect excuse to not do shit!
Bad things about this storm:
Everyone else in my house is also off work!
Extra drinking time!
My little boxer pup can't handle the conditions outside so there has been lots of clean up. Luckily we have no carpet!

/* begin rant */

Hello, all, from the epicenter of the Bomb Cyclone, Bombogenesis, or whatever scary name Al Roker is using to describe our little spring snowstorm. Yeah, it's windy. Yeah, it's snowing. Yeah, I wouldn't want to be outside in this weather (although I've skied in similar weather when I was a few years younger). I'm ranting about sensationalism, be it this weather, the 737 Max, the 6:00 news in general. We are going to wind up with about half a foot of snow (15 cm for our metric-speaking friends). Winds were pretty gusty, meaning we have some drifting going on and visibility is low. We also had the Texans and Californians cleaning out the grocery stores, although our roads will be cleared by tomorrow and our temperatures will melt everything by the weekend. Fear is the mind killer, Frank Herbert wrote, and the more I age, the more I agree. Sensationalizing doesn't help the situation, it just helps people make stupid decisions.

/* end rant */

Great rant Nosy. The hype is all media induced. They love these opportunities to discuss the extreme conditions and just how bad it “could” get and people flock to the news for any new information, whilst the media outlets rake in viewer based ad revenues.

Three good things about this way overblown storm:
No work!
Extra drinking time!
Perfect excuse to not do shit!
Bad things about this storm:
Everyone else in my house is also off work!
Extra drinking time!
My little boxer pup can't handle the conditions outside so there has been lots of clean up. Luckily we have no carpet!

All of that, plus:
Can't get to LHBS to get stuff to make beer

I live out away from mainstream B.S. Don't hear it unless bored and happen to turn it on. My biggest concern is ARE THERE REALLY PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE AND EAT UP ALL THIS? Sadly there must be as they do sell it and make money with it.
For weather I go to noaa.gov and check the satellite so I can make my own wrong prediction.o_O

Amazing how people react to Mother Nature :) Our youngest daughter has lived in Seattle for about 3 years now. She just can't believe how 2" of snow pretty much shuts down everything. Even the busses stop moving. She was driving up to Tahoe to go snowboarding when she was 16. We can tell a noob around here easily. They're the ones shoveling 4" of snow from around their car so they can chain up to drive to the grocery store.

Gotta ask Bob, were they putting the chains on the rear of a front wheel drive? And were they jacking up the car? Yes I have seen both.

I have seen both, but not in many years. I do remember a driver in an Olds Toronado telling a chain monkey that he didn't want the chains on the front.
For those too young to know, the Olds Toronado and Cadillac El Dorado were 2 of the first front wheel drive cars produced by US manufacturers. They first appeared in 1967 and pretty much everybody figured that they would be the last as well.

I have seen both, but not in many years. I do remember a driver in an Olds Toronado telling a chain monkey that he didn't want the chains on the front.
For those too young to know, the Olds Toronado and Cadillac El Dorado were 2 of the first front wheel drive cars produced by US manufacturers. They first appeared in 1967 and pretty much everybody figured that they would be the last as well.
That olds Toronado was a pretty car. My friend mom in high school had one and boy was she hot...

She had a 455 rocket ...

560px-66Toronado.jpg

Cars and sexual innuendo . . .

I like when my kids say how cold it is going to be (or hot depending on the season) they always quote the "feels like" number. What I like the most is the wide eyed OMG looks on their faces, like it has never ever been hot or cold anywhere, ever in the world...
Ya, it's hot (or cold), whatever, deal with it!

/* begin rant */

/* end rant */

As an Iowan, it would be very hard to scare me with weather. Our forecasters are always saying this will be the next "Snowpocalypse" and, on the very rare case it is, we are saying, "Holy crap they finally got one right".

That said, I do think this was a unique storm or rather, low pressure system, that deserved a ton of coverage... It was one of the lowest pressure systems to move through the midwest in 40 years. If there were any heat with this thing at all, it would have been a MASSIVE event. I think that weather folks knew it wasn't going to be anti-climactic for its potential (except for NW CO and some places in Western Nebraska/Kansas), and likely should have portrayed it that way.

Agree it should have been reported differently (And less in a fear mongering way) but do think it deserved the amount of coverage it got.

But we are damn lucky this thing came through now, and not in 2-3 months.

Americans...

Not so much fake as distorted. The news is selected based on what sells ads - those services aren't free and you aren't the customer. The local news distorts crime statistics. Watching the news you'd think Houston, where "if it bleeds it leads" is much safer than Denver, where we're more apt to see a moose that's fallen into a window well than yet another breaking and entering. The "Bomb" cyclone was another example. It wasn't nearly as bad as you'd think although it was very bad in places. And they will report any rumor during a catastrophe just to keep eyeballs on screens. I like the idea of a "public" news service but then in America, we the donors are their customers and we tend to be somewhat liberal. So I always take what I hear in the media with a grain of salt and what I read on Facebook with even less.

Pretty accurate description of the "fake news mainstream media". The #1 reason I'd rather wet my index finger and stick it in the air for truer information. The pathetic thing is that the ratings overestimate how many are truly watching this garbage. So, the lying SOBs get a bigger chunk of change for being full of $hit.
OK, done with my rant for the day.

I more meant you're a bunch of wimps calling that a "storm". ;) But it brought out an interesting conversation.

Back