How much salt is added in the gose

xayz110

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am going to brew cucumber gose, and I don't know how much salt should be added. Is there any place to pay special attention?
Thanks!

I am going to brew cucumber gose, and I don't know how much salt should be added. Is there any place to pay special attention?
Thanks!
Maybe try searching the beer style on this site and see what other brewers are adding to theirs.

The salt taste in the German recreations I tried a few years ago when I was in Leipzig and Goslar ranged from hard to detect to noticeable but subtle. But that was Germans trying to recapture their history.

As you're adding fruit matching the historic approach probably shouldn't be that important. Just add it your personal preference, probably at packaging and after you've settled on your cucumber amount. And probably try getting your amount right in a small sample before you hit the bottling bucket or fermenter.

I have a cucumber gose recipe on this site that worked out well, only problem was a bit too much cucumber. I'll check to see if it's public.... It is. Here's the link: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/726241/cucumber-gose Hints: Make sure the wort gets tart enough if kettle souring - look for a pH of 3.8 or lower. And use a bit less cucumber. I had to puree mine - crushing it didn't work. I'd reserve some of the salt for bottling - it's easier to add it than to take it out - and be ready to add some more lactic acid in at packaging. But this made a really good beer!

I have a cucumber gose recipe on this site that worked out well, only problem was a bit too much cucumber. I'll check to see if it's public.... It is. Here's the link: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/726241/cucumber-gose Hints: Make sure the wort gets tart enough if kettle souring - look for a pH of 3.8 or lower. And use a bit less cucumber. I had to puree mine - crushing it didn't work. I'd reserve some of the salt for bottling - it's easier to add it than to take it out - and be ready to add some more lactic acid in at packaging. But this made a really good beer!
Thanks! "Cucumber, 2#, peeled and mashed, added at high krauesen." but What is high krauesen?:D

The salt taste in the German recreations I tried a few years ago when I was in Leipzig and Goslar ranged from hard to detect to noticeable but subtle. But that was Germans trying to recapture their history.

As you're adding fruit matching the historic approach probably shouldn't be that important. Just add it your personal preference, probably at packaging and after you've settled on your cucumber amount. And probably try getting your amount right in a small sample before you hit the bottling bucket or fermenter.
thanks!

Thanks! "Cucumber, 2#, peeled and mashed, added at high krauesen." but What is high krauesen?:D
When the yeasty foam is highest, another way of saying when fermentation is most active.

Back