DIY Burner help

716Brewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've purchased a good quality 10" banjo burner 200,000 BTU and a high pressure hose and regulator. Today I welded up a stand for it out of 2"x2"x1/4" angle. I realized I need to know the distance from the burner to the bottom of the kettle. I could make the burner mounts slotted so adjustments can be made but it would be easier if I didn't have to. If it is dependent on the flame size/height another option would be for me to add 1/4" or 1/2" round bar to the top to obtain the desired height. Any input it is appreciated.

-Pete

I've purchased a good quality 10" banjo burner 200,000 BTU and a high pressure hose and regulator. Today I welded up a stand for it out of 2"x2"x1/4" angle. I realized I need to know the distance from the burner to the bottom of the kettle. I could make the burner mounts slotted so adjustments can be made but it would be easier if I didn't have to. If it is dependent on the flame size/height another option would be for me to add 1/4" or 1/2" round bar to the top to obtain the desired height. Any input it is appreciated.

-Pete
I have read from 2.5" to 10" all with different reasons given. I started at 2.5" and ended up at more like 4.5" but my burners are smaller with less BTU's and I use Keggles. It has to do with a properly set burner and distance for hottest point of the flame. A heat skirt affects it also.

Think of the size of the flame. You want it applied to the bottom of the kettle, any flame going up the outside is just heating up the handles. And anything else sticking outside of the kettle. Set your distance so you're losing minimal heat up the sides.

My bayou has a 10 inch banjo. The pot sits 4 1/8" from the burner. My pot is 17" in diameter and it will boil 10 gallons in less than 15 minutes. :)

Last edited:
My bayou has a 10 inch banjo. The pot sits 4 1/8" from the burner. My pot is 17" and it will boil 10 gallons in less than 15 minutes/ :)
Thank you! I'm going to set it at this dimension.

Back