More reasons to home brew....

Yep, now that those sorts of things are hitting the water table we're moving to a time where a term like organic doesn't mean chemical free, it just meanst that they haven't deliberately added chemicals as part of their process. Sadly my homebrew is as likely to suffer from this as the macro brewery 5 km away from me.

Okay, the fearmongering press says to be vewwy, vewwy afraid. Fear attracts eyeballs and eyeballs sell ads. The science says that in the concentrations we see, it's completely harmless. Glyphosate, the chemical in question, is an enzyme, a protein. Once it hits the acids in your stomach, it becomes amino acids. No more harmful than, say, beta amylase or phytase, enzymes in our beers in large concentration. But if you have roots, watch out! Glyphosate is deadly poisonous to roots.

If you listen to the money grubbing class action lawyers, the environmentalists and the fear mongers in the media, you'd think nobody would live to be 3 years old. I've managed to survive for over 70 years and plan on living until I can't hoist a pint any more.

As youngsters, we used to collect jars of mercury from the creeks and play with it for hours, never washing our hands if we went home to grab a sandwich. We also drank water out of the same creeks. We picked and ate fruit right off of the trees while walking through orchards.
If there was a roofing job going on close by, we'd grab a chunk of tar to chew on. We drank raw milk and sucked raw eggs.

Dunno about anybody else, but I'd just as soon die from consuming things I like than staying away from everything some idiot says will kill me.

I personally like the flavor of Roundup, it brings out the malt character too. I also use 2-4-d as one of my salt additions in the mash, the side benefit is no dandelions where I dump the spent grain.

As you read those articles, it's helpful to have Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills" playing in the background. It helps create the proper mood.

I personally like the flavor of Roundup, it brings out the malt character too. I also use 2-4-d as one of my salt additions in the mash, the side benefit is no dandelions where I dump the spent grain.

As you read those articles, it's helpful to have Iron Maiden's "Run To The Hills" playing in the background. It helps create the proper mood.
You can find organic malt, it's your choice. I'll make my decisions based on science.

I think you may find less of that in european malts. But if you dont want roundup in your beer organic is the way to go.

Unless you do, you're getting the same stuff in the malt you buy.

Well I'm screwed either way I look at it! heck I spend every day applying insecticides to people's houses who don't even want to see one ant in their property.
You know the clothes we were the couch you sit on all has flame retardants in them well the polyester ones anyhow. So a bit of round-up sort of rounds it off for me...

One condolance you can't beat mother nature so you might as well live with it;).

Well I'm screwed either way I look at it! heck I spend every day applying insecticideinsecticidese r4er freess to people's houses who don't even want to see one ant in their property.
You know the clothes we were the couch you sit on all has flame retardants in them well the polyester ones anyhow. So a bit of round-up sort of rounds it off for me...

One condolance you can't beat mother nature so you might as well live with it;).
o

Well I'm screwed either way I look at it! heck I spend every day applying insecticides to people's houses who don't even want to see one ant in their property.

As I said in my original statement, it's reassuring that Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, is an enzyme. At least we can digest it. In the grander scheme, the alcohol in the beer we make is probably more harmful than the trace of an enzyme that, if you have them, will really do a number on your roots.

As I said in my original statement, it's reassuring that Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, is an enzyme. At least we can digest it. In the grander scheme, the alcohol in the beer we make is probably more harmful than the trace of an enzyme that, if you have them, will really do a number on your roots.
Well I'm sure I herd somewhere they've labled alcohol as a carcenogen:rolleyes: everything seems to be gunna kill ya. I say let it try ha ha ha!

It's an artificial intelligence plot to end humanity and usher in the new world of computer daemons with souls. Silicon based life forms that can shape their own surroundings through Virtual Reality. They're everywhere; lurking in the ones and zeroes. Waiting for quantum computers that will take them to the next level.

Bwahahahahaha

Well I'm sure I herd somewhere they've labled alcohol as a carcenogen:rolleyes: everything seems to be gunna kill ya. I say let it try ha ha ha!
I purchased a SS fitting last week and they were required to put it in a bag that said it causes cancer in Cali. That’s why I stay away from Cali. Just like the produce section, organic shmorganic... People are living longer than ever before. Oh, wait, if we don’t open our wallets and give it all to our govt overloards, we are all going to die in 12 years according to AOC. Time for medication...

Yep, prop 65. Just a sample of the idiocy that will surely spread throughout the country. Nine hundred plus chemicals on the list. If a product is sold to Californians and contains any of them it must have the prop 65 warning. Among the "chemicals" listed are Acetaldehyde, Acetaminophen and Alcoholic beverages. Aspirin is there too, so not only is beer gonna kill us, things we take for a hangover will too. And that's only 4 things I cherry picked from the "A"s on their list.
Here's a link to the list which has likely grown since published. Some things will make you laugh, but the entirety will really make you wonder. https://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/chemicals

I see Deltamethrine in there one chemical used in Aus for pest control inside people's houses. Also Naphtelene that's in Mothballs and what marijuana smoke:eek::p! I'm surprised sucrose, fructose or dextrose ain't carcinogenic yet lol it cops a bad wrap from dieticians maybe not linked to cancer but other ways it can kill you. Everything in moderation I say!

Back