Campden tablets prior to mash

Thirsty Panda

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello... I add a campden tablet 24 hours before brewing to take care of the chlorine. How do I handle this with the calculator?

Hello... I add a campden tablet 24 hours before brewing to take care of the chlorine. How do I handle this with the calculator?
Drop the amount down to about a quarter tablet and ignore it? I use a half tab and no wait time to dechlorinate 10 gallons of water (on average) for a 6-gallon batch. The reaction between metabisulfite and chlorine/chloramine is generally nearly instantaneous, results in a trivial addition of sodium, sulfate and chloride. In other words, the ion contribution is insignificant.

Drop the amount down to about a quarter tablet and ignore it? I use a half tab and no wait time to dechlorinate 10 gallons of water (on average) for a 6-gallon batch. The reaction between metabisulfite and chlorine/chloramine is generally nearly instantaneous, results in a trivial addition of sodium, sulfate and chloride. In other words, the ion contribution is insignificant.

So you are saying to set the Cl level to 0 because I'm already cleaning it up beforehand?

^^^ What she said. Metabisulfite and chlorine/chloramine results in a tiny bit of chloride, some sulfate and in the case of chloramines, a bit of ammonia. Given the amounts of each are about the measurement error on my other salt additions, I generally ignore the contribution from the meta. And the reaction is nearly instantaneous - no need to let the water sit out.

Campden removes chlorine, NOT chloride. They are different things.

Thanks for the feedback. The water report I have measures both Cl and Cl- . I've been using the campden to take care of the Cl (.47 mg/L).

Also, thanks for the note about the time. I use a Robobrew timed for the morning so when I get up the strike water is ready to go. I'll probably not be as anal and just get the water ready the night before.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback. The water report I have measures both Cl and Cl- . I've been using the campden to take care of the Cl (.47 mg/L).

Also, thanks for the note about the time. I use a Robobrew timed for the morning so when I get up the strike water is ready to go. I'll probably not be as anal and just get the water ready the night before.

Thanks again!
As long as you know why you're doing what you're doing, it's all good. Too many don't know why.

Back