Total Mash Volume

Steelyace

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do BIAB and would like to know total mash volume (water + grain), this is something that I have to be able to calculate especially for my BIG beers. I would really like to see the strike temp on the print out and recipe overview as well.

Thank you

Doesn't it already do that if you fill in the mash section of the recipe builder?
Where do you see this, if it's there? I have filled in all my recipe, even my mash, and I don't see total mash volume anywhere. I see water needed but not total volume.

I stand corrected - it only gives the mash and sparge water. Here's the formula: Mash Vol. Req'd (gal) = Water Vol. + Grain lbs. * 0.08. As with everything brewing, it's an approximate prediction but likely good enough. If you had 4 gallons of water and 10 pounds of grain, your mash volume would be 4 + 10 * 0.08, or 4.8 gallons. And Yooper, this wouldn't be a bad feature to have in the Recipe Builder, particularly for decoction mashing.

It's also in the quick water requirements. If you go over the tun capacity from your profile it will warn you too

Capture.JPG

The formula's so easy.... But I'd like to see it added to the Mash section of the recipe builder. Because I forget the formula.

It's also in the quick water requirements. If you go over the tun capacity from your profile it will warn you too

View attachment 5268
That is just the water volume, the OP is looking for a total volume of that water and the grist together to make sure he has room in his kettle.

As it is an approximation, maybe adding it as a listed estimate in the quick water requirements, and having an adjustment in your equipment settings to adust the calculation if necessary.

That is just the water volume, the OP is looking for a total volume of that water and the grist together to make sure he has room in his kettle.

As it is an approximation, maybe adding it as a listed estimate in the quick water requirements, and having an adjustment in your equipment settings to adust the calculation if necessary.
I'm looking for it to help calculate decoctions. When I do them....

It would be nice to have it show on the brew step-by-step print out. If it such an easy formula, based on the amount of grain entered, then why can't it be shown on the view recipe and the printouts? Please and thank-you.

Back