Question about water

Reaction score
I am working on a cone on Nosferatu by Great Lakes. When I input my water into "my water Calcs" I get a pH that is good 5.39, but when I import the recipe in the regular recipe feed the pH is 5.77. What am I doing wrong?

Going to need a lot more information to help with this. Could you post a link to your recipe, and provide more details on your source water, and any additions you are making to it?

I'm generally out by a bit compared to the prediction. Changes in the water compared to my profile (the water is based on once a year report, I bet the water changes from month to month) and changes in the grains compared to the average used in the recipe would be the bulk of it, as well as how well I measured out my salts. I just give it 5 minutes to stabilise after mashing in then adjust it down to the right level using phosphoric acid.

Personally I'm surprised how close the prediction is considering the variables.

I am working on a cone on Nosferatu by Great Lakes. When I input my water into "my water Calcs" I get a pH that is good 5.39, but when I import the recipe in the regular recipe feed the pH is 5.77. What am I doing wrong?

When you back to the recipe, make sure you click "update recipe" and it should then match the water calc.

Thank you. I was not linking the recipe. It is fixed. As a side note does anyone have a preference on acid addition to the mash? I was planing to use citric acid. Does anyone else have a preference?

Thank you. I was not linking the recipe. It is fixed. As a side note does anyone have a preference on acid addition to the mash? I was planing to use citric acid. Does anyone else have a preference?

I use phosphoric acid usually, because it's flavor neutral but I have used lactic acid as well as long it's a small amount.

I use phosphoric acid usually, because it's flavor neutral but I have used lactic acid as well as long it's a small amount.
Phosphoric acid does have a flavor and lactic acid can be added at about 1.25 ml / gal and be under most taste thresholds.

Phosphoric acid does have a flavor and lactic acid can be added at about 1.25 ml / gal and be under most taste thresholds.
Just curious, what is the flavor of phosphoric acid? Lactic can get tart or sort of sour, sometimes on purpose. Never heard of off flavors from phosphoric.

Just curious, what is the flavor of phosphoric acid? Lactic can get tart or sort of sour, sometimes on purpose. Never heard of off flavors from phosphoric.
Apparently, it too has a “...tangy or sour taste.”

Source: Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Uses

AACB3737-6857-4E79-98BF-EA8CB3B832F7.png

It's what they use to offset the sweetness of Coca Cola. It's taste is nearly pure sour.

I use whatever I grab, but generally lactic. It's naturally occurring in beer so I go with it.

Had a slight mishap with some (thankfully) dilute phosphoric. Had a slightly metallic tang to me, but then we all use different words for the same flavour.

I have been using lactic, haven't had any issues to date.

Back