storing malt in hot and wet climate

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to store malt?
I have 10 kg on the way and we are currently in the rainy season, so it is wet and humid.
Furthermore, it looks like weevils are endemic here.
It's just a small amount but it was about the maximum I could ask my mates to bring back for me. I have no stores around the corner, so getting supplies in is all a bit tricky.
It will be lying around for a couple months before I get my other equipment in.

I was thinking of dividing it in 1 kg bags and putting it in the freezer. That way, I only take out what I need and should have no problems with condensation (and weevils).
Good idea? Bad idea? Not necessary????

I think your freezer idea is about the best possible under the circumstances. You can't keep it cool and dry and you can't keep the bugs out so sealed and frozen might be the best idea.

I had a drum of malt get beetles in it a while ago luckily I caught them before they made a big mess. I put the whole drinking ferm chamber and froze the little suckers.

I do pest control for a living and theory is if you store in sealed containers only way them wevels/stored product pest can get in there is when lid is off.
Only other sanario is product is contaminated before it gets to you but kilning is sure to kill any eggs.

Turn it into beer ASAP...
By far the best idea :)

It's only a small amount, but it will be sitting for a while till I get my other equipment in.
I want to use it for 2 or 3 smallish batches (around 10-12 ltr each) to gain experience, but that's a whole other story.

I think I will put it in drums and check on a regular base. If I spot any weevils, I will move the lot to the freezer to kill them little buggers...
Maybe put some moist removers in the buckets as well.

It's been pretty hot and humid here in SE QLD atm I store mine in sealed drums in the garagenits seems pretty cool in there.

Thanks.
The malt should be with me in a couple of days.
Time to start cleaning a bucket that seals well.
Then we live and we learn ;)

Thanks.
The malt should be with me in a couple of days.
Time to start cleaning a bucket that seals well.
Then we live and we learn ;)
Actually went out to fill the chook seed this arvo and I know for sure my chook drum has spoilt a lot of moths were making their escape when I was filling the chook container.

Actually went out to fill the chook seed this arvo and I know for sure my chook drum has spoilt a lot of moths were making their escape when I was filling the chook container.
Boy... I say, boy, that is some kind of jibberish you are spewing there boy
As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery

Boy... I say, boy, that is some kind of jibberish you are spewing there boy
As senior rooster ’round here, it’s my duty, and my pleasure, to instruct junior roosters in the ancient art of roostery
Ha ha I suppose it must sound gibberish to you maple leaves it probably doesn't get warm enough for stored product pest to pose a problem in your cold climate.

Good job OMB this thread is back on track

Back