Adjusting/Scaling based on OG

Ron Reyes (Papa Piggy)

Trial Member
Reaction score
SO i want to know if i'm understanding something.

SO I brew a recipe and lets say my OG is set at 1.054 based on a brew house efficiency of 79.

But I end up with an OG of 1.059 because of new and impreved fly sparging.

Does that mean that my Brewhouse efficiency for the next batch should be set at 85?

I have really noticed increased OG's after switching from cooler based mashes and batch sparging to direct heated and recirculating mash and a slow (45 mins) fly sparg.

That's what I do. As my efficiency goes up I adjust base malt to keep the OG. (less malt). Set the new efficiency on the editor then adjust the base malt to hit the new og.

I don't see it as there being one answer to that question. You can change the efficency and readjust your next recipe after every batch (I do that for some recipes), or you can give it a few batches to see if it's holding steady and do it then (what I do for most recipes). Possibly more a question of how much you mind overshooting your ABV.

If you do adjust every batch you may undershoot your next batch because the stars aligned that day and you got your best result. But if you wait a few there's a chance that you'll keep overshooting the ABV because it was a real change to process (e.g. your fly sparging) that's sustainable.

I don't see it as there being one answer to that question. You can change the efficency and readjust your next recipe after every batch (I do that for some recipes), or you can give it a few batches to see if it's holding steady and do it then (what I do for most recipes). Possibly more a question of how much you mind overshooting your ABV.

If you do adjust every batch you may undershoot your next batch because the stars aligned that day and you got your best result. But if you wait a few there's a chance that you'll keep overshooting the ABV because it was a real change to process (e.g. your fly sparging) that's sustainable.

Thanks
yeah i realize the stars may misalign at any time. Like when I was drinking during brewing an extract batch once and forgot to add the extract!!! after boiling with the hops for an hour my OG was like water and the "wort" was nothing bu bitter. i looked over to see my full container of extract... lol too much fun.

Thanks
yeah i realize the stars may misalign at any time. Like when I was drinking during brewing an extract batch once and forgot to add the extract!!! after boiling with the hops for an hour my OG was like water and the "wort" was nothing bu bitter. i looked over to see my full container of extract... lol too much fun.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah! That's a good one. I'm drinking to you sir.

Thanks
Doh!

Back